Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer

Re: Wrong timezone on GoPro hero 6 Overlay

THIS PROBLEM IS RIDICULOUS.

THEY SHOULD HAVE FIXED THIS LONG AGO.

BOO

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi all,

Just set your GoPro to UTC +0 time ...

Example: My location is UTC +7 at 7:00am, then set GoPro to 0:00am, this will work.

Hope this helps.

Highlighted
Tourist

I'm not followinbg your suggestion. Can you eplain further? My Gopro does timestamp data wtih UTC+0(which it gets from GPS data) and then when the data is overlaid on the graphic still with UTC+0 ie when you have video in my locatiopn of UTC+9.5 it reports the time it is in England ie daylight rides with the time showing as midnight or thereabouts. I may have missed some subtelty in your suggestion.

Highlighted
Hiker

No, that doesn’t work. I have tried that of course. The problem is that the GoPro receives the time code from the satellite, knows your location, but is pulling from a wrong data field in the software somewhere. So your local time that you set on the device will get ignored no matter what.
Highlighted
Tourist

Hello pilotryan here. I'm a Hero 6 Black owner here with same time offset problem Shows my GPS data in UTC. HOW HAS THIS NOT BEEN FIXED GOPRO?

For me it's not SO bad as im a pilot and work in UTC anyways but it's kinda silly that GoPro is so incompetant that they cant fix something that is literraly just a few lines of code. More importantly it worked correctly in prior versions so what broke it and when? 

I need to vent abotu GoPro a little more before i finish though. For the most past my Hero 5 Black has been AMAZING! No issues . However, i bought a Hero6 at the saem time as the 5 and the 6 has been nothing short a pain in the balls.  My first Hero6 used to just FREEZE. Mid flight at first.. just random. Then it started happening just minutes after i started recording before i had even taxi'd to the runway to take off. By the time i had opened up a ticket it was slightly past the 1 yea mark but GoPro made an exeption and RMA'd my defective device.  Seemd to be great except for when using an extended battery. It seems like the Hero6 freezes up when the extended battery runs out. The Hero6 does not continue recording because it freezes up until manual intervation (usually pull battery whic his a pain in an extended battery config). Now my Hero 6's rear LCD screen stopped working after it got exposed to water WITH the hero6 configured in a sealed, watertight config. It's not so bad since my extneded battery covers the screen in the way it mounts anyways. But the goddamn camera is still freezing up whe the exteneded battery runs dead. Any thoughts on that would be greatly appreciated! thx

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

Highlighted
Hiker

Apparently the problem is also the MP4 format, which metadata doesn´t save the local zone.
Usually other devices can correct that automatically, but GoPro is ´special´, so therefore we see the incorrect date.

What I do is correcting the date manually with exiftool.
Then, in cmd, I write the following commands:

exiftool -ModifyDate-=2:0:0 -CreateDate-=2:0:0 -MediaCreateDate-=2:0:0 -MediaModifyDate-=2:0:0 -TrackCreateDate-=2:0:0 -TrackModifyDate-=2:0:0 "C:\Users\GOPRO\*.MP4"

In my case the dates are -2. Replace it with the time you need.

Then I also apply:

exiftool "-filemodifydate<createdate" "-fileaccessdate<createdate" "-filecreatedate<createdate" "C:\Users\GOPRO\*.MP4"

and:

exiftool -FileModifyDate+=2:0:0 -FileCreateDate+=2:0:0 -FileAccessDate+=2:0:0 "C:\Users\GOPRO\*.MP4"

So all the dates are the same.

Please tell me if that works for you too.
Cheers!

Highlighted
Hiker

Thanks for the exiftool and code to fix this. Any pointers on how to accomplish this on a Mac?