Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Wrong timezone on GoPro hero 6 Overlay

[ New ]
I have a Hero 6. I tried using the gauges on the camera however the time on the information cluster is wrong. It is displaying the GMT timezone instead of EST. All of my times are 4 hours ahead of what the time should actually display as. I also checked the meta for the created date on the file and they are all correct.
GoPro

Re: Wrong timezone on GoPro hero 6 Overlay

[ New ]

Hi @roberte08

What program did you use to overlay telemetry on the files? Is the time on the camera set correctly? What SD card are you using?

Are you able to share a sample file?

I can suggest doing a factory reset on the camera. If it's still the same, please try a manual software update.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

I used the quik program to place the overlays. And yes my date and time are set correctly on my camera. As for the card I am using a SanDisk Ultra 64 GB class 10 card. However, a card should not cause a problem with a timezone offset.

Tourist

[ New ]
Also doing a factory reset and manual update did nothing to resolve this. The problem is with the GPS timestamp in your Quik program it is not taking into account the timezone of the video. If I were in GMT (+/- 0) the time would be correct. However Since I am in EST (-4) the time is 4 hours ahead on the info cluster.
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @roberte08

Thank you for the additional information. I would assume that the time is set correctly on your computer. At this point it is best to refer to our Support Team to check on this further.

You may contact them via phone or chat. https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Best Regards,

Ej

Sightseer

[ New ]

Just popping in this thread to say that I'm having this exact issue as well. The math works out to the "Info Cluster" gauge simply showing GMT as opposed to my local time. Maybe there's no compensation for time zone in the code? Either way, I've been searching and tinkering for a while with no results. Please let me know if there's any resolution on this, I would really appreciate it! Thanks!

Tourist

[ New ]
I did that before I posted here. They were useless.
Anonymous

[ New ]

I am having the same issue. I can confirm that the overlay time is incorrect on both the Mac and Windows version of the desktop software. No, I was not out filming at 4am in the image attached!

23-06-2018 16-35-34.png
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi everyone!

Kindly confirm if a manual software update has been completed. 

If the issue remains the same after this then it could be on the hardware already.

Please reach out to our Support Team for further assistance. https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Best Regards,

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]
I've done that several times and no luck. This is extremely frustrating.
Sightseer

[ New ]

Count me on this one as well. Software update has been completed, and re-completed to be sure.

It's already been addressed that the Support Team was no help. If the problem is in the software, no amount of "assistance" will rectify the problem.

Please get back with us once the problem has actually been re-created and experienced by your development team. I'm sure it would only take a few lines to patch. Thanks so much!

Anonymous

[ New ]

I have also done this multiple times. I see this problem has reported multiple times for years on these forums, please advise if this is being investigated?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi everyone!

Thank you for all of the information you have shared. I will have this checked further.

Once I have an update I will post back on this thread.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Same problem here. Time is wrong on GPS overlay.

Tourist

[ New ]

Same here.

Hero 5, Guiages overlay in UTC, and camera set to correct local Australian Eastern Time.

It's pretty simple GoPro, Gauges records the time from the GPS signal, and fails to take into account local time.

I can't see a timezone setting in the device, so it cannot know the differences between the GPS time and local time.

Therefor the Guages Metadata will always have GPS (UTC) time.

You need to update the device firmware to allow timezone, then embed that in the metadata.

Hiker

[ New ]

Same issue.  Looks like it's been weeks with no reply from GoPro.  Rumor in the news is they are going out of business.

Hiker

[ New ]

I have a GoPro Hero 5 Black and I'm having the same issue, the date and time is set correctly on the camera itself however the quik for desktop app is off by 2 hours! Also the camera software is up to date.

GOPR0327.jpg
Tourist

[ New ]

Count me in this group with Hero 5 and guages showing UTC time instead of local time. C'mon GoPro. Is it that hard to figure out?

Tourist

[ New ]

Have the folks at GoPro/QUIK given up on us?

I'm another Hero 5 black + QUIK desktop app with my info cluster gauge timezone off by 8hrs (for my UTC+8 location).

Sightseer

[ New ]

Count me in.  Quik is using GMT during import.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Do we have any updates for this problem yet?  It's a seriously simple issue to fix.  I would have expected it to be resolved already with a firmware update and/or an update to Quik.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @m1xzg

This has been raised  to the team in charge.

We'll post an update as soon as we hear from them.

Kind regards,

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]
Do we have an ETA on this yet. This has been going on for 2 months now! It's getting ridiculous.
Tourist

[ New ]

I am having the same issue too. Such a simple thing to fix in software. Any updates on eta of fix?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to update this thread and thank you all for reporting this. I've tested this and reproduced the same issue as well, so I've sent this information to the Quik for desktop team to have them look into it and implement a fix.  I have no ETA at the moment, but I will update this thread once more information comes down the pipeline.

~Mowens

Sightseer

[ New ]

Also having this problem and spoke with some people on the Chat a couple days ago but had no luck. Looks like "Mowens" is on it though, based on the fact that the reply 6 hours ago was a bit of an update on the problem. That's good to see at least. Still patiently looking forward to a fix for this problem

Hiker

[ New ]

Same problem here also.  I have done all the manual updates blah blah blah.  definitely a programming issue.  I have a virb 30 that I have had for several years and Garmin nailed it.  Go Pro is playing huge catch-up, which I am so glad to see this information now in their cameras.    I have the Garmin 360 also and the overlays for both cameras are just awesome with the options.  I love go pro!  But dang guys!  This is a time thing. Didn't you guys catch this in beta?  Or are we beta? mmmmmmm.  I am doing my best to stay optimistic.  I wait for the update. 

Tourist

[ New ]

Same here guys, Hero 6 Black with Quik for desktop...

Sightseer

[ New ]

Early morning video shows 10 pm! As far I understood it's because of of the Quick application on Desktop. Please fix the issue asap. 

GOPR0879.jpg
Tourist

[ New ]

have this exact problem on new hero 7 and I see I am not the only one with this software issue

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @christ3605,

Have you tried resetting the camera to factory settings already?

Please let us know. 

Regards,

-Jay 

Tourist

[ New ]

of coarse Jay and an absolute waiste of time

it did nothing to help this issue

GoPro

[ New ]

Got it @christ3605,

I'll submit this issue to the right department.

We'll keep you posted. 

Regards,

-Jay 

Tourist

[ New ]

Jay if you read the previous posts, the issue is not with the devices, they are recording the time in UTC, as it's the only format broadcast by the GPS satellites.

The problem lies with the QUIK software not being able to convert the GPS timestamp from the Hero devices, into local time. There is no setting for it so all videos ioverlayed in Quik are timestamped in UTC.

For a competant software writer, it's not that hard to fix. For Go Pro, it's the end of the world.

Tourist

[ New ]

Just adding another getting the same issue. As stated by others its clearly a Quik issue which seems to simply ignore timezones for the overlay.

Tourist

[ New ]

so beacuse of this I am trying dashware. So I got the speed and speed chart to working from the data  "m/s" but not sure which data values go where in order to get the map or g working

also tried racerender but it cost

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi @jayr3438,

Check the post from @mowens on 22-08-2018, he also said that he was going to report this issue. You said that too now! For real... have you ever reported this issue?!

I've bought the Hero 7 Black and there's the same problem again!! It means that you didn't fix it from Hero 6 to Hero 7!! This is ridiculous!! This is GoPro we're talking about, not a cheep chinese brand! Come on guys!!

Just fix it, PLEASE!!

Hiker

[ New ]

I bought the Hero 5 just to test the waters and to see how great of a product GoPro really is, while I'm somewhat satisfied with the device itself I'm not so happy with the software and support the company provides. This would have been a very simple issue to fix and shouldn't have taken this long (I was hoping they'd fix this before releasing 7!), they've lost me as a customer and likely will never ever buy another GoPro product again.

Hiker

[ New ]

See instead of focusing on the go pro 6 issues they were just to busy trying to get the go pro 7 out the door with 3 models !  And the 6 still needs work done on it!  what gives.  its crazy.  I am patiently waiting for garmins action camera.  I hope they release soon because they are WAY ahead of go pro by a long shot.  Sure would be nice to have a product work as described.  

Tourist

[ New ]

As this is pretty clealry a sofware problem with the Quik application this thread is in the wrong place and probably doesnt help our cause. 

Sightseer

[ New ]
It's actually both. The camera records and timestamps everything in UTC which means when you import into any application the time will be off. Really the camera should either ask the user for the timezone or better yet just set it based on GPS location. And if you have no gps signal then you'd get unpredictable times I'd guess as Ive not tested that. Might have to check it in the shielded room at work tomorrow and see.

Tourist

[ New ]

If this was even posted in the wrong area, wouldn’t somebody at GoPro take the initiative to get it to somebody that could fix this issue.  Sort of sad but gives you an indication of what GoPro thinks of its loyal customers.  

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi everyone!,

This information has been shared with the team in charge,

I will get this post updated as soon as I have additional information.

Apologies for any troubles caused,

Regards,

Ej

Sightseer

[ New ]

Having the same issue here.  It's a software bug but fixing it won't make them any money so I'm not holding my breath.

Tourist

[ New ]
This is ridiculous... No one does nothing! That is why I'm a brand new DJI happy client, where costumers are heard, unlike GoPro.

Cheers!
Tourist

[ New ]
Well it's nice to know that after having this problem now for FIVE MONTHS. It still has not been resolved. They're new "update" did absolutely nothing to resolve this issue.
Tourist

[ New ]

@tkp2010 wrote:

Jay if you read the previous posts, the issue is not with the devices, they are recording the time in UTC, as it's the only format broadcast by the GPS satellites.

They don't have to use the GPS time, they could use the time that you set on the go pro.

Hiker

[ New ]

It´s sad that there is still no fix for this.
This is a huge problem, I don´t get how they don´t realise it. ALL videos you capture mark a wrong time.
Isn´t this happening to everybody living outside the +0GMT area?

Hiker

[ New ]
Go pro is a company that is suffering. It’s pretty obvious as it reflects in their products. U would think this would have been fixed before the release to public. Who cares right. It’s crazy.
Hiker

[ New ]

Even though, it surprises me it has not been fixed.
It seems like a core functionality. Isn't this happening to everybody?
How is this not bothering everybody that bought the camera?