Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Wrong USB cable with Hero8

[ New ]

I received the new Hero8 with a USB 2.0 cable (smaller than the Hero7 cable). Conclusion: this new cable allows to load the Hero8 but not to transfer files (Windows 10).
By using the Hero7 cable on the Hero8, everything works normally.
According to French support, I am not the only one to report this problem. I sent them photos that they asked for.
For a user like me who has 3 other GoPro, it's not dramatic because I have the other cables. A user who only has the Hero8 may not be happy.

IMG_4814.jpg
Explorer

Re: Wrong USB cable with Hero8

[ New ]
What you wrote isn't necessarily true. I have plenty of USB-C cables that are thinner than the HERO7 cable (My HERO5 and HERO6 cables for example) and they work just fine transferring media.

In any case,
this is a member to member support community. We are not GoPro. If you would like to leave feedback, you can do so here https://gopro.com/en/us/feedback
If you want to reach out to GoPro Support, you can do so here https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs
Tourist

[ New ]

You wrote:

this is a member to member support community. We are not GoPro. If you would like to leave feedback, you can do so here https://gopro.com/en/us/feedback
If you want to reach out to GoPro Support, you can do so here https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

My message is only meant to inform other members of the problem I have encountered. As I write, I have already contacted the support. If it can help another user who has the same problem, that's the goal.

FYI this cable that I received with the Hero8 does not work either when transferring files on a Hero7 or Hero6. By the way, even the original cable that I had with the Hero6 is bigger and it is USB 3.0. Have the tests you mentioned with your old cables been made with a Hero8?

Explorer

[ New ]
I'll check it out tomorrow (although I rarely use the cable for transferring media, it's faster with a USB adapter).
Adventurer

[ New ]

Do you think  when Dan gets his he can verify this today?  Yes, so stay tuned .    about the cable, do you think they ran out of stock and simply given what was in stock?   

Tourist

[ New ]

about the cable, do you think they ran out of stock and simply given what was in stock?

I do not think so, besides the GoPro logo is on the USB port.
When I discovered this cable finer, I first thought it was a good idea because that of the Hero7 and Hero6 was a bit too rigid (especially when used with Powerbank).
But eventually, it is perhaps the one I received that is defective (according to the support, there are then many in this case). Wait and see.

Explorer

[ New ]
The cable is in fact USB 2.0
My apologizes
It doesn't seem like a mistake or a case of "running out of stock" but rather a cost saving decision. Not a very good one, as the cost to fielding all of the inevitable customer service calls will probably add up.

It's not a big issue for me, as I mentioned, I don't connect my cameras directly to the computer, but it is a disappointment to see that this is the cable they chose to include.

Other than that, the HERO8 is fantastic. There are so many features on this camera and the video, stabilization, features, and photo quality far surpasses my previous GoPro cameras (even my HERO7 which I was very skeptical it could do)
Tourist

[ New ]

Thank you Daniel for confirming my remark.

I suppose the transfer does not work for you as well if you try the USB 2.0 cable that came with your Hero8?

When you have 4 GoPro and you shoot every day, it's tedious to remove the frame and the card each time. That's why I use the transfer cable most of the time.
It's not a big issue for me of course as I have the cables from my other GoPro 6 and 7.
But this "cost saving decision" is unacceptable for a
number one brand like GoPro. It will now cost them more to replace all the cables!