Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Worrisome ...

[ New ]

I bought the package from GoPro (Hero 9) - GoPro Plus, two batteries, and a 64 GB SD card. 

Also bought the Max Lens mod. First time, that thing is SO freaking hard to put on. 

I was going on a trip to SD. Commentate and put to rest, a veteran friend that died unexpectedly. I was going to use my GoPro to unobtrusively video the event. Got the GoPro about 2 days before leaving. Tested it out sitting on my couch. First day in SD I tested it on a longer video. Stayed in a nice room and did a video of it. As far as I could tell I had no issues. Video captured my event. I thought. I got no errors but when I went to play back it was like the card was empty. Anything I tried, from photos to video, went without complaint from the GoPro.But nothing on the card. I pulled and reset the card multiple times. Once or twice it worked then quit. I was afraid it was the GoPro. I have, since I returned home, used a new (same brand) SD card. So far so good.

Bottom line. My free card is not good. And, most importantly, I got NO ERROR MESSAGE THAT IT WAS BAD from the GoPro.

Want to know if any others have experienced this and/or is there some setting I missed in the GoPro?

Accepted Solutions
Backpacker

Re: Worrisome ...

[ New ]

Yes, lots of people have experience this it seems and there seems to be no resolution from GoPro.  From what I've seen, this seems to be happening when using SanDisk SD cards.  I use Samsung Evo cards and I haven't had this happen.

As for the Max Lens mod, put it on and take it off a couple of times and it will eventually get much easier to do.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Backpacker

[ New ]

Yes, lots of people have experience this it seems and there seems to be no resolution from GoPro.  From what I've seen, this seems to be happening when using SanDisk SD cards.  I use Samsung Evo cards and I haven't had this happen.

As for the Max Lens mod, put it on and take it off a couple of times and it will eventually get much easier to do.

Tourist

[ New ]

@demonviewllc wrote:

irishmanpdx,

@demonviewllc Thank you for the reply. On the one hand, it's nice not to be alone, on the other hand, it "upsets" me. The cheapest POS device will alarm if there is a write error. GoPro can't figure out how to handle a hardware event? You do a write; check return status. Zero, move on. Anything else, tell the user.  Sorry. Whiney, whiney. I will never trust, 100%, a GoPro. 

I have multiple DSLR cameras all use Sandisk. I have NEVER had an SD card issue. My drones use Sandisk. Same thing. No issues. Maybe I have just been lucky? 

Again, thanks for the response.

Skip 

Backpacker

[ New ]

Yes well not every device read/writes data at the same speed or in the same way.  I suspect that the Sandisk cards don't have the sustained read/write speeded needed by the GoPro camera, meeting the specs on paper is a far cry away from real world testing.  

Tourist

[ New ]
Spoiler
👍