Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Workflow for uploading to Google Street View

[ New ]

I have seen several threads regarding Google Street View:

https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Apps-for-Desktop/Google-Maps-StreetView/td-p/104680

But do not seem to see a definitive workflow of the best way of getting a 360 photo uploaded properly so that it will display properly.  Do I upload from phone (or ipad) App, or must I stitch it and upload from my laptop?

Does anyone have any success(ful) stories?

Backpacker

Re: Workflow for uploading to Google Street View

[ New ]

There doesn't seem to be anyway to upload 360 photo's from your mobile device as the GoPro app doesn't support exporting of 360 media to your mobile devices gallery.  The app only allows you to upload 360 media to facebook.

If you want to upload 360 photo's or video, you will have to use the GoPro Fusion Studio app to render the photo's or video first.

From there (providing your photo's or video have GPS data) you can either upload directly to google or you can use a free program called TrailBlazer to upload video or photo.

TrailBlazer

This is one of the tours I created using my GoPro Fusion

Alaska Tour

Tourist

[ New ]
I was able to upload photos one at a time, but the workflow was lacking. GoPro needs to improve this.

My workflow:
Connect to images on Max
Open the image for export
Select the Street View app
Repeat for each image

You need to be on wifi and the process is slow. It could be enhanced if multiple images were able to be exported at once.

Please improve this workflow @GoPro !
360Production.Services is willing to help.
Tourist

[ New ]

He GoPRO this is ridiculous.  Build a 3D camera, charge a lot of money for it, and then leave out the ability to upoad to the single most popular location for 3D photos.  In order to do this, you have to PAY a $20 subscription fee.

Backpacker

[ New ]
When did gopro build a 3d camera? Is this a new model? I know they built 360 degree cameras but not a 3d camera. Also if you're trying to upload images to google maps, why not use trailblazer? It's free of charge, I use it all the time.
Tourist

[ New ]

I was so furious I typed 3D instead of 360.  Sorry.

The problem is trailblazer IS NOT FREE.  There is a free option that allows you to upload 1 image a month.  Otherwise, you have to pay $20 a month to get a feature that most other cameras offer for free.  And with the $20 fee, you only get to upload 20 images.  That's it.

Tourist

[ New ]
Sorry, I was upset. Meant 360, NOT 3D. Again, typical GoPro incompetence, you cannot correct your earlier posts.
Backpacker

[ New ]
Ummm.... I use trailblazer almost daily for uploading my drives to google street view, got over 250k images and I dont pay a penny. Are you sure you're not looking at their tour creator software instead? Also the latest version of the GoPro app allows you to save 360 degree media to your phones photo gallery.
Backpacker

[ New ]
They only allow quick edits once a post is made, so two minutes to correct it before its posted for good
So just did a quick test. Took a 360 photo, saved it from camera to app. Then opened it in app and saved it to phone. Opened up google streetview, picked a 360 photo to upload and there was my photo in recants. Uploaded it just fine. Not sure how to edit gps data though as it was ammeter off. Streetview gives you the option to edit but doesnt seen intuitive or working, but that's a google issue. So in short... for photos, use this workflow. For videos or timelapse, use trailblazer, it IS free I assure you.
Tourist

[ New ]

oops

Backpacker

[ New ]
Dont feel too bad, I mean, look at the release date of their Fusion camera and its only recently that they are able to export 360 photos to the phone gallery. It's also not like GoPro have actually mentioned or featured the ability to update Google maps with 360 photos. So they probably should mention it and give people a workflow tutorial. My guess is they are waiting for a further app improvement to simplify the process. Anyway, good luck and have fun with your camera!
Sightseer

[ New ]

Did you have any issues signing into your google account on the trailblazer setup? I keep getting denied because "the brpwer or app may not be secure". cant isng in and so I cannot make an account.

Tourist

[ New ]

We were able to successfully download 360 photos to the mobile device. We then imported to Street View app. However, there are 263 images that need to be connected and the Street View app is only showing 25 of them. In the default folder in which the Street View app saves imported images, all 263 images are present. But only the last 25 in the set show in the app.

Any ideas on how to get all the photos uploaded and connected? We need to crank this out by Tuesday.

Backpacker

[ New ]

When you go to contribute in Google Street view, it will only show the most recent photo's.  So you need to go to "Browse files in other apps" and select where you have stored your photos (gallary for example).  You should be able to view all your photo's then.

Tourist

[ New ]

We already imported from the GoPro Exports folder and the files are all in the Street View's default 'panoramas' folder. They aren't displaying in the app.

Backpacker

[ New ]

Have you contacted Google and asked why their app is not displaying all files?

Tourist

[ New ]

We have contacted both Google and Panoskin to try to figure out how to get this done. GoPro's contact page is not allowing us to submit a request for phone call (says invalid captcha when no captcha appears at all) and the chat window is also broken, which is incredibly disappointing. At this point we've exhausted the product documentation for all three companies, many many hours of research spent.

This entire experience is incredibly frustrating honestly. We bought the Max because it is listed as a Street View Ready product with TrailBlazer. Neither TrailBlazer nor the Fusion Studio software are recognizing the files from our Max. Not sure what good it does to say it here but I'm just at my wit's end with this.

Backpacker

[ New ]

Yeah seems to be a lot of things wrong with that Google listing.  They show a picture of a Fusion not a Max.  They say it shoots at 5.8K @ 24FPS but that's wrong as well.  As far as I know the Max resolution on the camera is 5.6K.

GoPro Fusion Studio only works with the GoPro Fusion.  It's used to stitch the two seperate camera recordings into a single 360 video or photo.

You need to use the GoPro Max exporter (found on the apps page) to export your video or timelapse file into something that Windows recognizes.  Then run that file through TrailBlazer to upload it to Google Street View.  However that's assuming that the GoPro Max Exporter actually works properly and retains all the GPS data.

Backpacker

[ New ]

Your other option (and I'm not even sure if it's possible to do this, let alone how to do this..) is to use a telemetry extractor to extract the GPS data from your Max File.  Then export your Max file using the GoPro Max Exporter and then see if there's a way to re-integrate your GPS data with the video file and THEN run it through Trail Blazer.  However this could be very tricky and time consuming (as you would have to find the exact settings and file type for trailblazer to work with...

Here's a link to get started:

https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/ 

The guy who runs this knows his stuff, it may be a good tool to suggest for him to work on.  I'm just not sure if this works with the .360 files from the Max or if you can re-integrate the telemetry data afterwards but it's an avenue to explore.

Of course...it may be just cheaper to buy a GoPro Fusion.......

Tourist

[ New ]

Man, I had a feeling you were my guy on this!! It makes way more sense that the listing is probably the Fusion and not the Max. 

That's absolutely the info we needed. Will see what we can do with the GoPro Max Exporter. Then maybe return this for the Fusion....

Backpacker

[ New ]

GoPro are working on new windows software for the Max, I'll just add that, but it could be a few months out at the moment.

The Fusion has it's own issues too but for the most part, there's workarounds in place.  I'll check this thread again in the morning but keep us informed on how things go.

Tourist

[ New ]

Deal. I'll snooze the email notification we got so I don't forget.

Tourist

[ New ]

We got our walkthrough published using Panoskin's Google Publisher. We only need to upload one tour per month, so this may be our solution until something official from GoPro is released.

Tourist

[ New ]

My Issue, 

• 360 photos captured using my Brand New GoPro Max is not having GPS data when uploaded manually to Google Maps / Street View. - Google asking me to place the photo on the map. - this is frustrating for a $500 product ! 
    Any solutions for this?  
Tourist

[ New ]

Another issue is with @@PanoskinTours app trailblazer. As per Google Street view's compatible cameras list, GoPro Max can be used with Google street view if we use the trailblazer app from Panoskin.com  But unfortunately their app is not installable on Macs. 

I downloaded and installed it and the message I am getting is ( please see attached ) 

EcyScEDVAAAnP8V.png
Backpacker

[ New ]

Yes well that google listing is incorrect, as of right now, the Max is not compatible with Google Street view via panoskin.  The listing says Max but shows a GoPro Fusion.  This is something Google needs to correct.

However it's up to users like ourselves to try and come up with an easy work around and solution (that we can publish here and other users can hopefully improve things too).

1:  Panoskin not being installable may be due to security permissions on your Mac or maybe it's just not compatible with the latest version of the Mac O/S.  That's something they will have to figure out, so email them or post the issue on their forum.

2:  Using a Fusion, you had to render/stitch the file into a spherical video first before it could be uploaded into TrailBlazer.  I'm guessing it's going to be the same for the Max.  Luckily GoPro have released to the public the new version of their player for Windows and Mac and hopefully this will have the GPS data embedded once you export:

https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/GoPro-Player/ta-p/413305?fbclid=IwAR2h78BuvY1FG5Bk-Jxlj4UF467tkj0Q... 

See what you find out and post the info back here.  I still use my Fusion for uploading to Google street view and it's fun, it's annoying that Max users can't do the same thing.

Hiker

[ New ]

I  used the Mac version of the software to export a Max video with retained GPS. Trailblazer does recognize the file and the GPS data but I wasn't able to finish an upload because it said the Google API server was down

Backpacker

[ New ]
You might want to post the settings here so people have a workflow. Google API servers have been down about a week now, affecting windows users too.
Hiker

[ New ]

Since then I haven't been able to get Trailblazer to recognize the Max stitched files. Maybe it only worked due to a glitch?

The export format from the Mac app has to be h.264 5.7k with GPMF enabled. The other file formats don't allow GPMF. I also disabled automatic horizon and world lock