Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

With the MEDIA MOD on my HERO 8, why can't I transfer files to my laptop?

My Windows 10 is up-to-date. My Hero 8 is up-to-date. With the Media Mod removed, transferring files is no problem. With the Media Mod on, the camera doesn't even show up in File Explorer or open a new window. The computer makes a sound since I've plugged something into it and camera says, "USB Connected."  "Device Manager lists the camera as an MTP USB Device, not even as "GoPro." I've used several different brand 10Gbps cables including the Anker #A8465011 someone suggested and still nothing. Does the Media Mod even pass through data and support transfering files?

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: With the MEDIA MOD on my HERO 8, why can't I transfer files to my laptop?

Hi @dhaberlein

Sorry for any trouble caused. Please reach out to our Support Team to have this checked further.

You may submit a request for a callback through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs, or initiate a chat conversation with one of our representatives.

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

For those searching for answers on how to download or transfer files off of your Hero 8 with the Media Mod on it, GoPro is telling me that you can not do that!?! 

Hi Doug, 

Thank you for reaching out to GoPro Support today! It has been a pleasure assisting you.

With regarding your concern about the Media Mod, it doesn't have a feature of passing through data and transfering files.

The thought of being able to film with your camera seamlessly definitely thrills me! I just cannot wait for your adventures.

I hope I was able to help out, should you need further help or assistance, please feel free to contact us back and we will be more than willing to help.

Many thanks and have a great day,

Lisa A.
GoPro Support
http://gopro.com/support/

ref:_00Do0HJuF._5003b1VO6TV:ref

Highlighted
Nomad

Not exactly true of "Lisa" to say.  The fact is that the GoPro windows transfer has always been a pain.  With my own media mod attached, using the original GoPro cable that came with the camera,  I can access camera video or photo's, but only using a USB 3.1 Gen 2 socket.  Any other socket it's plugged into will just charge the camera.

Highlighted
Tourist

Nope.  I just plugged in a new Anker PowerLine II 3.1 Gen2 Model A8485 cable into my Alienware m17's Thunderbolt USB-C 3.1 port and the camera is still not showing up as a drive for me to access my videos.  I'm on the verge of sending the media mod back due to this inconvenience.Smiley Mad

Highlighted
GoPro

I agree with @irishmanpdx. I am using a Windows computer, a USB 2.0 cable and the Quik installed is able to detect the GoPro media and allow import as well. See images that follow: 

Using a USB 2.0 cable

Highlighted
GoPro

Highlighted
GoPro

[ Edited ]

A colleague even used a Samsung USB-C cable to test and it still worked. 

Although Quik for desktop is no longer in development, we have raised this matter to the Product team. We will also send feedback to Support. Thanks!