Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Re: Wireless/Bluetooth microphone for Hero 5 Black?

[ New ]

Thanks Marius,

I may be misunderstanding the product but it looks to me like it does not apply for my need. I want to be able to use the Sena or Cardo Headset in my motorcycle helmet in place of the Remo. Remo doesn't hear well in windy conditions, however, the Sena or Cardo usually do - especially if the face shield on a helmet is closed.

The product you sent me a link for appears to maybe have a primary function of facillitating voice recording rather than initiating voice commands. Is that right?

Also, if nothing exists to satisfy the application need, is this not a good place to suggest the need and hopefully get it out for a roadmap consideration?

Thank you.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @gwrider1

Thank you for the reply. The HERO5 Black camera facilitates voice recording, and can be operated via voice commands. The REMO can be used with the voice commands when the user would be at a certain distance from the camera, when the camera would not be able to detect the voice commands directly due to external factors like wind and noise conditions. The Sena or Cardo Headset maybe more sensitive but it has not been tested to work with the HERO5 Black camera. 

It is interesting to explore the compatibility between these products. It will definitely maximize features and functions. I agree that forums are a great venue for sharing resolutions, recommendations and suggestions for improvement so your feedback is much appreciated. 

Many thanks, 
Marius

Tourist

[ New ]

Just to add my .02

I just purchased a hero5

I ride a dual sport m/c so I will be using a waterproof housing.

I need a wireless microphone that will connect

to my camera while in its housing.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @frediver

We don't have a wireless microphone available just yet.

Feel free to check out third party accessories that may work with your camera.

Thanks!

EJ

Tourist

[ New ]

I can think of two plausible reasons they have no enabled wireless mic recording (be it HSP/HFP or even A2DP) for the GoPro's, even though they have the chipset for it.

1: The battery life will likely be impacted, perhaps even quite significantly.  And maybe in ways that they are unable to reliably quantify and qualify.  Ergo, enabling this feature could end up with people having real battery life issues.  And let's face it, wireless mic would not be much good if the thing went flat too quickly.

2: Third party implementations of wireless audio on bluetooth is notoriously multi-vendor poor.  That is, even if GoPro got it right and implemented the drivers and software perfectly, there is a real chance the gear you are connecting to it is not so good at implementing the standards.  And how would GoPro support such things?  How would failure to support problems they cannot even qualify (not their product) harm the brand image.

Don't get me wrong.  I DESPERATELY want wireless bluetooth audio.  I wear a Sena 10U and hate that I can't record from my helmet to my GoPro Hero5.  But we have to understand, just because something is "plausable" does not mean that it is the right thing to do.

I do wish they would have a way that I could plug in their 3.5mm microphone adapter without compromising the waterproofing.  :(

Tourist

[ New ]
Nah
I would expect gopro to offer there own unit.
The microphone should only switch on when the camera switches on, battery life would be easy to calculate. I would expect the wireless remote to activate the camera and microphone simultaneously, switching on the microphone in a helmet is a different matter and should be left to the user.
Tourist

[ New ]

To be clear, I care nothing about voice recording. I only want to initiate camera, pictures and vid - stop and start, from the BT microphone in my helmet. That  being said, voice recording should be possible via wireless along with some of the caveats you mentioned.

As for the many different implementations of Bluetooth helmet microphones, other companies in other product lines partner with various other bluetooth headset manufacturers and certify each others product so that they may enhance BOTH brands, subsequently building a more satisfied user base as well as attracting new users.

As is, it could be argued that GoPro is leaving bluetooth helmet microphone users out in the cold.

It can also be argued that in my implementation the REMO, which I currently use, is dangerous as it can contribute to distracted riding. 

Some of the GoPro customer base is asking for the GoProduct to "play nicely" with mainstream BlueTooth headset manufaturer and doing so would definitely build a stronger bond between GoPro and some current and future customers, as well as aleviating a pain point on some existing products.

Hiker

[ New ]

It's safe to say that I won't be buying another GoPro until this issue is addressed.  It's hard to believe that they reduced their functionality.