Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Anonymous

Re: Wireless/Bluetooth microphone for Hero 5 Black?

[ New ]
I don't understand you.
You can simply check possiblity of Bluetooth mic by Sena Bluetooth pack for gopro 4.
Also gopro have wifi, so can be wireless mic.
Anonymous

[ New ]

Sorry I did not get what you mean? I have purchased a microphone but it did not worked with gopro. I am planning to buy Sony ECMAW4 Wireless Microphone and want to know if that one works. 

Highlighted
Hiker

[ New ]
I have to admit that I am shocked. I recently destroyed my GoPro 4 black and desperately needed a replacement. I came here to confirm whether or not GoPro has finally gotten around to creating a wireless microphone or a method to make it compatible with the Sena. to my dismay, they have failed. I will be looking for a used, or perhaps a new GoPro 4 rather than a new GoPro five, which is what I would prefer to purchase . It is hard to imagine that I will ever upgrade to the newest GoPro until the situation is addressed. I'm much more likely just to switch brands .
Anonymous

[ New ]

To the best of my knowledge, you can't connect wireless headsets to the GoPro 5 - whith the exception of connecting to their cellphone

apps. I have three Bluetooth headsets, a Sena 3S-w, a Plantronics M165/R and a Logitech h800, none of which will connect to my

GoPro Hero 5 Black. It's interesting to note that all the above headsets will connect to my Garmin Virb Ultra 30. So my GoPro has been relagated to a backup role, or it is used in a capacity of diminished importance. Which is too bad, because it is essentially a very good

unit with features that I fine very attractive in a camera of this type, but the abillity to record voice ( and issue commands ) in an

extremely noisy environment puts the Garmin in first place IMHO.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Yes we have established that the GoPro Hero 5 does not support Bluetooth headsets, and that is why this thread was created. Nobody wants to hear about your garmin POS. 

Also to state a fact incase anyone missed it in my previous comment.. Bluetooth is a trademark. A standard for the short-range wireless interconnection of mobile phones, computers, and other electronic devices. To advertise a device as being Bluetooth enabled and only functions as a Slave while the real Bluetooth on your phone is the Master and the GoPro Capture software makes the connection possible.

Although GoPro Hero 5 has a Qualcomm QCA9377 chip with 802.11ac & Bluetooth 4.1 or Bluetooth 4.2. It is locked to deny us users a fully functional device. Here is details on Bluetooth 4.1 and 4.2 below.

Bluetooth 4.1

The Bluetooth SIG announced formal adoption of the Bluetooth v4.1 specification on 4 December 2013. This specification is an incremental software update to Bluetooth Specification v4.0, and not a hardware update. The update incorporates Bluetooth Core Specification Addenda (CSA 1, 2, 3 & 4) and adds new features that improve consumer usability. These include increased co-existence support for LTE, bulk data exchange rates—and aid developer innovation by allowing devices to support multiple roles simultaneously.[71]New features of this specification include:Mobile Wireless Service Coexistence SignalingTrain Nudging and Generalized Interlaced ScanningLow Duty Cycle Directed AdvertisingL2CAP Connection Oriented and Dedicated Channels with Credit Based Flow ControlDual Mode and TopologyLE Link Layer Topology802.11n PALAudio Architecture Updates for Wide Band SpeechFast Data Advertising IntervalLimited Discovery Time

Bluetooth 4.2

Released on December 2, 2014, it Introduces features for the Internet of Things.The major areas of improvement are:Low Energy Secure Connection with Data Packet Length ExtensionLink Layer Privacy with Extended Scanner Filter PoliciesInternet Protocol Support Profile (IPSP) version 6 ready for Bluetooth Smart things to support connected homeOlder Bluetooth hardware may receive 4.2 features such as Data Packet Length Extension and improved privacy via firmware updates.

GoPro have abused Bluetooth to their own advantages for capitalization  of profits. They have said it is to deny other companies from profiting with headsets ect. This is a sad truth and we are the ones who suffer for their greed.

Hiker

[ New ]

Did they actually specifically say that was their motivation?  Where?

I'm not saying you're wrong.  I'm just curious where I can read it for myself and share with others. 

Whatever their motivation, it has angered a lot of their most loyal customers.

Anonymous

[ New ]

@Anonymous

Pointing out that Garmin offers a feature that everybody on this thread is interested in accomplishes something: it offers a solution to

the problem of Bluetooth connectivity.

What does your incessant  whining and citing Bluetooth specifications accomplish? Nothing. Go be a fanboy someplace else.

Tourist

[ New ]

As you can see and notice, this issue is THE major handicap of the Hero 5 and I was more than happy that many many fellow customers shared my concern in this thread. All I hope is that our voice is heard at GoPro.

I am sure that your technical development team is able (and capable) to work out a solution (We all know that having a wired microphone it is not appropriate for the purpose of an Action Cam)... Please don't wait for Hero 6 to introduce this feature (for sales/marketing purposes or other)... you can do it now!