Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Wireless/Bluetooth microphone for Hero 5 Black?

Does Hero 5 Black support any Wireless or Bluetooth microphone?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

Re: Wireless/Bluetooth microphone for Hero 5 Black?

@wabinad - Not natively. You may be able to find a microphone that bridges between the mic and a receiver wirelessly, but the received would plug into the camera.

Thanks,

Jeff

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

@wabinad - Not natively. You may be able to find a microphone that bridges between the mic and a receiver wirelessly, but the received would plug into the camera.

Thanks,

Jeff

Highlighted
Anonymous

Also, as I understand it, GoPro has taken away the ability for thrid parties to make accessories that hook into this. For example, Sena made a backpack that enabled Bluetooth with there bluetooth helmet mics. Apparently manufacturers like Sena cannot do this for the Hero 5. That is why I will not upgrade from my Hero 4 silver to a Hero 5. Here is a blurb about it from this article: http://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/2017-moto-gear-predictions. You can go down to Spurgeon Dunbars prediction section and see this:

With the introduction of the Hero5, GoPro shut out non-proprietary brands from interfacing with their product. For instance, Lem and I typically use Hero3s and 4s in conjunction with a Sena backpack to record video and audio for our bike reviews. The new Hero5 has no attachment for a Sena backpack, which means we’re going to continue using the older versions of the cameras until a solution presents itself. GoPro is going to have to address issues like this as well as competition from new players in the world of action cameras.

Highlighted
Anonymous

Hi,

Well I thought that because it had bluetooth I could conect my helmet mic to the gopro, if its raining, will it be safe for the camera to be with the conection door open and that bulky mic adapter hanging out, bluetooth in this case is a bit useless....

Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

@Anonymous - The bluetooth connects the camera to the app on your smartphone. It's not used to connect to another bluetooth device.

I would not recommend leaving the side doors open on the camera in the rain. The camera is not waterproof with the doors open. As an alternative, you could connect the mic to your smartphone and record the audio on your phone and then synch the audio to the video in editng.

Thanks,

Jeff

Highlighted
Adventurer

Gopro is not that smart or smarter?  a bluetooth wireless mic be great, butthe question is will we be able to run two bluetooth devices,  a work around is

Use Periscope and your smartphone and a external mic that way it allows us to wirelessly  use  a mic that way only with Periscope, something gopro needs to do. Allow us to use the Capture app and our smartphone external mic port. 

and A) your gopro be  tightly sealed with only Battery powered of the camera alone.

FISH

Highlighted
Anonymous

ok so if the gopro uses bluetooth to connect to the app in my phone then why will it not do anything until i connect to it using wifi?

Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

Because the bluetooth connection is supplemental to the wifi connection. The wifi connection is required. The bluetooth connection is optional and only effective after the wifi connection is established.