Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Anonymous

Windows 10 will not recognize My GoPro 4 device.

So I have taken the plunge and downloaded Windows10 .. unfortunately, although the Suite works and launches fine, Windows 10 will not recognize my camera. Device Manager is showing it at unknown, I have disabled and restarted, searched for new hardware which says the drivers are up to date.  I'm guessing W10 is not compatable with the device ?

Thanks,

Maria.

Anonymous

Re: Windows 10 will not recognize My GoPro 4 device.

I have found the same issue! I have Windows 10 and the GoPro Hero, however my computer doesn't even recognize there is a device connected through the USB port. I know that the connection is solid between the two because the charging light is on. I have tried restarting my computer and un/replugging the USB.
PLEASE HELP! I really desire to start editing some sweet footage!

Anonymous

Hi Ross. Putting your micro SD in an SD converter and popping it in the reader (if you have one) on the laptop works a treat, can upload and edit that way, but I think with the device not being recognized we are at a lost cause with W10, although mine charges too, hopefully it will be fixed in W10.1.
GoPro

Hey there, 

Just following up with you all about the issues you were having getting Windows 10 to recognize your cameras. We've been able to test this and our HERO4 cameras have been recognized and they transfer their footage through the USB port successfully. 

Some things to try if you're still having a problem would be:

-Verifying that you've run ALL Windows updates you have available. 

-Making sure to plug directly into the computer (not into a USB hub, for example).

-Making sure that your camera has been fully updated. 

Do any of those things help your cameras to be recognized by your computers?

Best, 

Matt B. 

GoPro Support Hub Moderator

GoPro

We think this post has a better chance of being seen and getting a reply if it's in a new location.

Anonymous

I had the same problem. Used a different USB port on the same computer. The GoPro was recognized and I could import all content, no problem.

Hiker

I had the same issue aswell. The USB port I used to use on my W10 says files not found but as soon as I use a different USB Port on my laptop, it recognises it as the previous post mentioned.
Anonymous

I'm having the same problem. PC running Windows 10, trying to connect to a brand new Hero4 Silver. All updates to Win 10 have been applied, multiple restarts of both camera and PC, different USB ports (I've tried both USB 2 and 3 as well), no luck. Other people have suggested trying different video modes while connecting, turning WiFi on or off, none of these have helped either. When connected, the device will show the USB symbol on the front LCD for about 2 seconds, then revert to normal video (and charging) mode. The PC registers the device either as "unknown USB device" or "Still Image", neither of which work.

I googled this problem and seems to be pretty prevalent for those using Windows 10. Is there anything underway to address this problem or is there any other way to get this to work? I don't own an SD card reader and after heavily buying into GoPro accessories I don't really want to shell out another couple of bucks just to get my footage off the device.