Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Windows 10 will not recognize My GoPro 4 device.

Have you tried formatting your SD card ?
Highlighted
Anonymous

Hm haven't tried that yet since I don't have access to a card reader. I'll see if I can borrow one somewhere and will try that. Thanks for the tip.

Highlighted
Hiker

You do not need SD card reader to format.
You can do it right on the camera or via the app.

Here is is the link showing how :

https://gopro.com/support/articles/formatting-an-sd-card-with-the-hero4-camera

Let us know how everything goes!
Highlighted
Anonymous

Tried formatting the SD in the camera, no changes. When connecting the cable, it still looks as if it will work for about 2 seconds but then reverts to normal camera mode :/

Does GoPro provide any drivers we can manually install?

Highlighted
GoPro

@Anonymous, 

Have you tried using a different USB cable or a different computer to transfer your footage? Any luck there? 

You could also try updating your camera manually using the link HERE, though that will require an SD card reader to perform. 

Highlighted
Anonymous

[ Edited ]

Hi 

I had the same problem...even worse, many other USB deivices wasn't recognized by Windows 10 on my computer. I have done what the Microsoft guys said in the Method 1 of the below text and all of my problems vanished. now all of the USB devices are recognizable including of course Hero4:

Method 1: Run the Troubleshoot Hardware and Devices. 
Hardware troubleshooter reviews, diagnose and identifies operational or technical problems within a hardware    device.   
1. Press Windows Key +R, type Control Panel
2. Type troubleshooting in the search bar, click on troubleshooting. 
3. Click on Hardware and Devices. 
4. Follow the steps from the wizard to run the troubleshooter.

Method 2: Uninstall and re-install USB drivers:

a. Press Windows Key +R and type devmgmt.msc to open Device manager.
b. Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers at the left bottom.

c. Right-click the first USB controller under Universal Serial Bus controllers, and then click on Uninstall to remove it. d. Repeat these steps for the entire USB controller under Universal Serial Bus controllers.
e. Restart the computer. After the computer starts, Windows will automatically scan for hardware changes and reinstall all the USB controllers that you uninstalled.

Refer the article for more information:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/install-usb-3-usb-devices

Highlighted
Anonymous

@marial70718 wrote:

So I have taken the plunge and downloaded Windows10 .. unfortunately, although the Suite works and launches fine, Windows 10 will not recognize my camera. Device Manager is showing it at unknown, I have disabled and restarted, searched for new hardware which says the drivers are up to date.  I'm guessing W10 is not compatable with the device ?

Thanks,

Maria.

Hi 

I had the same problem...even worse, many other USB deivices wasn't recognized by Windows 10 on my computer. I have done what the Microsoft guys said in the Method 1 of the below text and all of my problems vanished. now all of the USB devices are recognizable including of course Hero4:

Method 1: Run the Troubleshoot Hardware and Devices. 
Hardware troubleshooter reviews, diagnose and identifies operational or technical problems within a hardware    device.   
1. Press Windows Key +R, type Control Panel
2. Type troubleshooting in the search bar, click on troubleshooting. 
3. Click on Hardware and Devices. 
4. Follow the steps from the wizard to run the troubleshooter.

Method 2: Uninstall and re-install USB drivers:

a. Press Windows Key +R and type devmgmt.msc to open Device manager.
b. Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers at the left bottom.

c. Right-click the first USB controller under Universal Serial Bus controllers, and then click on Uninstall to remove it. d. Repeat these steps for the entire USB controller under Universal Serial Bus controllers.
e. Restart the computer. After the computer starts, Windows will automatically scan for hardware changes and reinstall all the USB controllers that you uninstalled.

Refer the article for more information:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/install-usb-3-usb-devices

Highlighted
Anonymous

I'm having the same issues... after spending so much money this is extremely disappointing