Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer

Re: Windows 10 not recognizing Hero 8

This issue is reported by so many people definitely it cant be with laptop port or cable...definitely something wrong with SW/driver in camera. This is a product bug.

Highlighted
Nomad

It’s a GoPro product bug but GoPro don’t want to recognize and only response is blaming pc or laptops. I have a new very powerful laptop from Asus , i7 processor4.5 GHz 9-th generation, 16gb ram , video card GeForce RTX 2060 with 6 GB and when I connect GoPro hero 8 don’t recognize my camera.
Highlighted
Sightseer

I have a Dell laptop, its about 4 years old and running windows 10. I purchased a hero 8 in November of 2019 and then a hero 7 a little while after, both Gopros from Best Buy. My Dell had an issue once with not recognising my Hero 8 and it went away on its own.

Yesterday (July 2, 2020) I bought a new Lenovo Legion laptop from Best Buy. It has an intel core i7 10th gen, and an Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060i graphics card, its made for gaming but as you all probably already know, the gaming laptops are also good for video editing and are cheaper than the business laptops for that stuff.

Well, the Lenovo recognizes my Hero7 but it does not recognize my Hero 8. I see there is no support for this problem. Many people complain and are recommened to rech out to Tech support and then you dont hear a peep from them again, you know like hey; "hey they helped, this is what I did."

I'll consider this when I shop for my next action camera. 

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @ff660

Please note that while some functions of cameras may work with Quik for desktop, we have not provided any updates to the program prior to HERO8 and therefore we are unable to determine what features will work, what won't, and what consistency you may get with HERO8 and MAX cameras.

Other users confirmed that using USB 3.1 and USB 3.0 works.

If you have a USB-C to Thunderbolt cable, it should also work. 

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Nomad

Not solution but a good workaround. What worked for me and I based it on a note in another thread. I bought USB hub (USB C Hub, BYEASY Zinc Alloy Multiport USB C Adapter Hub) and when I connect it to Thunderbolt on computer and Hero 8 to the USB hub via GoPro cable it works like it should and charges camera without overheating and quite fast. MAybe any hub would work. On my laptop I have 3 different USBs, 2 Thunderbolts and none would work without the hub.
Highlighted
Nomad

[ Edited ]

I filnally managed to solve this problem. i bought a new cable usb 3.1 Gen 2,10 Gbps,  USB-C to USB-C , 100 w(20V, 5A), and the method that works so that the laptop would recognize my hero 8 black is :

a) first , connect the usb cable in usb laptop

b) turn on my hero 8

c) connect cable to hero 8

and thats work well :)

if you dont turn on your camera before connecting usb cable ,your laptop won"t recognize your camera !!!

Another method work well with original gopro cable :

a) connect to your laptop an USB Hub (i put here a photo with my model, buy from amazon)

b) connect your original gopro cable to usb hub,

c) turn on your camera 

d) connect cable to hero 8.

if you dont turn on your camera before connecting usb cable ,your laptop won"t recognize your camera !!!

IMG_3023.JPG
Highlighted
Nomad

Thanks for posting this. I have the same experience with the hob. Now I will try the direct connection. Funny - I could connect to hub with camera off but yesterday it did not work. So I connected camera after switching it on and it worked. Now I see this post!!
Highlighted
Tourist

Nope. Powered on or off, computer does not see the camera. As for buying hubs and cables? Well, I have no need of a hub and I have the cable that GoPro supplied with the camera. If they are not sufficient then GoPro can supply the necessary kit or never sell me a camera again.