Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Windows 10 not recognizing Hero 8

To avoid confusion, instead of "new generation" USB cable, one should say "USB 3" cable. That is what will be written on the packet.

You may see USB 3 or 3.0 or 3.1 but it's the same for our  requirements.

You can recognise it by the blue colour in the large connector at the end of the cable.

They are available at any store that sells computer or telephone cables, including department stores.

Highlighted
Tourist

Thanks, both of you. I've been intending to get the charger so that is good news. I've got a 3.0 cable which works, it's just  that it is for another purpose and is far longer than required to connect the Heor 8 to my PC. The short one in the picture is ideal.

I've noticed that when using a 2.0 cable Windows 10 does recognise the camera, just not in any useful way expect to hint that you could try a USB 3 cable. If I go to the Win 10 settings app then devices, the Hero is listed and a message is displayed to the effect "This will work faster on USB 3". Of course, it doesn't work at all on 2.0. It was that that prompted me to try a 3.0 cable to find out it worked and it is fast compared to using the card in an adaptor.

Highlighted
Tourist

Just to make plain.

I bought a Hero8 with an exttra battery - and love it.

I then bought a two slot charger with two more batteries - and love it.

By necessity I bought a new laptop - and love it.

But neither of the GoPro cables work in getting the GoPro recognised by Windows 10 on the new laptop.

To come on this board and tell me that somehow I'm being unreasonable in expecting GoPro to provide adequate hardware for communication of their own device - when they must have known of this requirement - is quite frankly laughable.

Don't shill for yet more sales.

Highlighted
Tourist

@bombtrack29  Thanks, that's useful. So it looks like it may be pot luck what type of cable you get with the charger. One thing is for sure, GoPro make a USB 3 cable, we see it in the photo and it should be supplied with the camera.

Highlighted
Sightseer

An update for you all, I just received my new GoPro8 last week. First GoPro I have ever purchased and I am hitting the same roadblock as you all. 

This is VERY disappointing when spending so much with a reputable brand and for such a high figure. 

I will reach out to them and ask for a new cable to be sent to me or I will be requesting a return & refund.

This just goes to show that despite this issue being raised on this thread last year, they are still sending them out.

Highlighted
Sightseer

I am running windows 10 and can not get it to detect my new hero 8 black. It always shows up in device manager as mtp usb device at my seo agency but i can not access it. Have tried reinstalling USB controllers, made sure windows is up to date. I can not find the gp in file explorer or with quik. Inserting the sd card right to the computer works fine and even quik sees that. I have formatted the sd card while in the gopro as well. Anyone else having these issues or any ideas?

Highlighted
Sightseer

Use a USB docking station and it works for me. Docking station being a single connector into the laptop and then it has 3/4 USB ports on other end. The issue is the cable provided by GoPro is not compatible with newer computers (unbelievable). I am waiting to speak to them right now.
Highlighted
Tourist

It's no consolation for you who still have the problem, but if you do a Google search about USB3 device not being recognised, GoPro is FAR from being the only manufacturer affected, including external hard drives, keyboards etc.

Imagine having no access to all your data on a hard drive! 

I am sure that all manufacturers concerned are working on the problem and Microsoft should get its act together as well with its USB drivers.

GoPro could help by keeping the community informed though.