Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Windows 10 can't see GoPro Hero 9

[ New ]

Hi there,
I've just received my Hero 9 and Windows 10 doesn't seem to pick it up. The GoPro says USB detected but nothing appears on Windows file explorer. I've tried on my laptop and it said it installed a com port 4 or something but I still couldn't see the GoPro. The sd card works plugged it in and could see all the footage but no GoPro unfortunately.

Does anyone know of a solution? 

Accepted Solutions
Nomad

Re: Windows 10 can't see GoPro Hero 9

[ New ]

Have you changed the connection type to MTP? You might need to do this for it to work. I had to do this and then i could download directly off the camera. Its under Connections/USB

View solution in original post

All Replies
Nomad

[ New ]

Have you changed the connection type to MTP? You might need to do this for it to work. I had to do this and then i could download directly off the camera. Its under Connections/USB

Tourist

[ New ]
Oh so good, thanks for that! Instantly worked :D
Sightseer

[ New ]

I am having a similar problem with my new GoPro Hero 9.  If I set the USB connection to MTP, then plug it into my Windows 10 computer, it doesn't do anything on Windows or the GoPro, it just acts like nothing is plugged in.  If I change the USB connection to GoPro Connect, then windows acts like I just plugged something in, and the GoPro says the USB CONNECTED, but I can't browse to pull videos or pictures off the GoPro.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @vitalalp04070

When accessing or transferring the files, make sure that the USB Connection Settings is set to MTP.

You may check Camera is not Recognized when Plugged into a Computer USB Port

Let us know how it goes.
You may also reach out to our Support Team through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs  for further assistance.

Thanks!

Ej

Sightseer

[ New ]

I was able to download the GoPro Quik software.  Once that software was installed, then the MTP shows up and I am able to copy the files directly off of the GoPro to my computer.  The trick was to install the Quik software.....

Sightseer

[ New ]

I changed my gopro settings to MTP, and plugged in my usb cord and still cannot see anything.  Do you know what I am doing wrong or where I should go on my computer??

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @angelab660. Have a go at these troubleshooting steps. Let us know how it works out. 

Nomad

[ New ]

It should show up in the My Computer window (amongst other places). On my windows 10 PC it doesnt show up as a folder, liek a USB stick would, but as a device. 

Tourist

[ New ]
did this did not work
Tourist

[ New ]

having the saame issue

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @spiryboost47078

Were you able to change the setting to MTP?

Have you tried using a different cable/port?

If it's still the same, please reach out to our Support Team through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Should you encounter any issue scheduling a callback or a live chat, please ensure that you are not blocking cookies and have your pop-up blocker disabled.

Thanks!

Ej

Sightseer

[ New ]
Where is this MTP setting? On the PC? I downloaded the Quik SW and still nothing.
Nomad

[ New ]

Its in the settings on the hero 9

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @thadmorrow

Go to Preferences > Connections > USB Connection

You may also check Camera is not Recognized when Plugged into a Computer USB Port

Thanks!

Ej

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @thadmorrow

Go to Preferences > Connections > USB Connection

You may also check Camera is not Recognized when Plugged into a Computer USB Port

Thanks!

Ej

Sightseer

[ New ]

Excelent it correct my error conection, thanks

Sightseer

[ New ]

How do I fix this? I dont know how to change the connection to MTP.

GoPro

[ New ]

@megavista42760, please refer to the instructions provided by @aragon1006. Let us know how it goes.

Nomad

[ New ]
Then look in the manual or read other posts.
Tourist

[ New ]

Hello,

I recently purchased a GoPro Hero 9 for my campus and am also having the same issue that other folks have mentioned here. The firmware has just been updated, the USB connection is set up as MTP and I still can't see it as a USB drive. I have tried multiple computers on multiple operating systems (macOS High Sierra and Catalina). I have also formatted the SD card, restarted the GoPro/attached computer, tried different USB ports and different computers- all result in the same issue. Other MTP devices such as my iPhone pull up fine- so it seems to be an issue specifically with the GoPro Hero 9.

I eventually downloaded the GoPro Quik desktop app, and that works. However, I would prefer to not have to use an entirely separate app in order to simply pull video files off the GoPro.

Any further suggestions or advice on how to get MTP working?

Thanks,

Amina

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @aminak225

Have you tried using a different cable or another post?

Since you were able to transfer the files via Quik, you can check the files through the GoPro folder.

On Quik, click on Media.

Select a file then do a right-click then choose Show in Folder.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi Ej,

I have tried multiple USB cables on multiple USB ports and on multiple computers- all have produced the same result of the GoPro Hero 9 not showing up as a USB drive. Because I'm able to see the GoPro and transfer media from it via the Quik desktop app, I highly doubt that the USB cable is the issue.

Just to confirm- the GoPro Hero 9 uses USB 2.0 and not 3.0, correct? The cable included with the GoPro Hero 9 is a USB C -> USB A 2.0, so I'm assuming that 3.0 or 2.0 wouldn't make a difference, right?

I don't run into any issues with transferring media files with the Quik desktop app- however I'd like to find an alternative that doesn't involve having to use the app since students at our institution will likely be using any number of campus or personal computers to transfer footage from the GoPro. We don't want to have to install Quik on every machine that a student might use to transfer files from a GoPro.

Any additional suggestions are much appreciated.

Best,

Amina

Nomad

[ New ]

Ive used proper USB3 cables as well as USB2 without issues in the past.

Saying that, as of about 3 days ago (when i last tired) my PC wont detect my H9, even though it was working fine when i last posted in here. 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @modxuser. Is this the same even with the camera's USB Connection being set to MTP?

Nomad

[ New ]

Yep, as you can see from my earlier posts I'm aware of MTP, and it was working fine a few months ago. To be honest I'm happier using a card reader so not a big deal for me, but strange that it stopped working. 

Tourist

[ New ]
I am currently having the same issue as well, it just stopped working.
Have made multiple separate phone calls to SUPPORT (Ticket 09550734)

Using MTP, tried multiple computers and cables, factory reset +re updating firmware on gopro. Issue is still happening, it was working up until about a week ago. HERO 9.
Sightseer

[ New ]

It solved my problems, big thank's  Smiley Very Happy

Tourist

[ New ]

Great!! Yes changing the Connection type to MTP worked a treat!

Tourist

[ New ]
I'm an absolute novice and had the same issue... much appreciate the help and problem solved. Cheers