Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Will Hero 5 Black screen stay on with Karma Grip?

I set the screen saver to 1 min.

Everytime I use it with Karma grip, the hero 5 black screen just wouldn't turn off.

If I don't use the Karma grip, it would turn the screen off.

Is this normal?

Thanks!

Hiker

Re: Will Hero 5 Black screen stay on with Karma Grip?

I have noticed the same bloody problem and it's irritating because it drains the battery of the karma grip even more quickly and also heats up the GoPro as well.

However I believe this issue is present in all the karma grips out there and can be fixed easily by an update which gopro needs to fix asap.

Until then the only fix is to lower the brightness of the screen all the way down once you have your settings and angle decided.

And also using the GoPro without the battery in it with karma grip should also help conserve the battery usage overall.
Highlighted
Tourist

It's been nearly 3 months since I started working on this problem with the HERO5 & Karma Grip. The issue is that when the H5 is in the Grip - it will not kick off the screensaver mode anymore causing the camera to get hotter than normal and the battery in the grip to drain super fast. The kicker to this is when I started this journey 3 months ago both the H5 and the Karma Grip were only 2 months old!

A previous video showing the issue, 17 emails and several 2+ hour long phone calls and a 4th harness on it's way?

I love the Karma and the H5 - I just wish I can get this 1 issue resolved!

UPDATE: While this video was uploading, I get yet ANOTHER email form GoPro telling me:

"Hi Chris,

I have already arrange a courtesy Harness along with the supplementary items that we'll use for troubleshooting your case.

I've created a new case here so I can better monitor the progress."

https://youtu.be/1f5b_0Bagss

It's been nearly 3 months since I started working on this problem with the Hero5 & Karma Grip - both only 2 months old when I first contacted them!
Tourist

Hey giys - I solved the riddle! Take a look!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyyp5EM1Z3U

In a heated debate on one of the Facebook groups with someone who thinks there is nothing wrong and he was waiting for it to act as it does got me to thinking. His theory did not make sense at all and knowing that it worked before meant that it should work now. So I ran with the "before" idea and