Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Wifi freezes when connected to external power

Hello,

I've got the problem that on my Hero 7 Black the Wifi freezes (all devices, no matter what device is connected) as soon as I connect my Gopro to an external power supply via USB-C.

Everything works normally on Battery Power only, but as soon as USB-C is connected to power, Wifi works for one last action (like start recording) and then Gopro Screen goes black for a second, and when screen is back on, Wifi is dead. Only disconnection from Power and rebooting the Gopro enables it again.

Is that an issue of my Gopro alone, or does someone experience the same defect? 

Firmware is the latest 1.70

Thanks for you help

Chris

Highlighted
Tourist

Betreff: Wifi freezes when connected to external power

Additional information:

It happens also when cam is off and being charged. After charging, Wifi is dead but indicates as "on". 
It works again after switching to "off" and then back "on".

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Wifi freezes when connected to external power

Hi @peytode

Please see if resetting the camera will work.  Reset Camera Settings
If it's still the same, proceed with a manual software update. https://gopro.com/update/
Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

Thanks for your answer. 

I tried all this. I did a complete wifi reset and after this was not working, I did a factory-rest as well. Then I installed the latest firmware 1.70 via SD card.

I also tried to connect only the Gopro App first (no remote, no Gimbal) assuming that one of my accessories maybe the problem, but no: 

The issue remains. As soon as I connect external power source, wifi is off (indicating it as "on"). 

When I switch it off and on again, it works shortly, but disconnects again.

Is it possible to install an older firmware like 1.61? (Downgrade) I have the installer but I was not sure if downgrade is possible.

Thanks for your help

Christian

Highlighted
Tourist

Ok, I risked to downgrade to 1.61.

Problem persists. It seems to be even worse. The whole cam freezes after after setting back Wifi to "on".

So, big question:

Is it a hardware issue of my Gopro?

Does someone expierience the same?

Unfortunately nobody of my friends owns a Hero7Black to test.

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @peytode. Does the power source output the recommended 5V, 1-2A charge? Did you use the charging cable that came with the camera package? 

Highlighted
Tourist

Betreff: Wifi freezes when connected to external power

I tried different cables and power sources. Including the Original one.
But the power supplied to the Gopro shouldn’t matter in my opinion. The Gopros internal battery is fully charged at the time when WiFi crashes.

But I agree, it could be a problem of the Gopros internal power management. Maybe it relies to much of the external power instead of compensating possible low-power-situations with the internal battery.
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Betreff: Wifi freezes when connected to external power

Hi @peytode

We have recently released an update for the HERO7 Black.

https://gopro.com/en/us/update/hero7-black

See if this helps with your issue.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej