Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

WiFi versus BT

Is it normal/correct that my Max "wants" to connect to my iPhone via WiFi rather than BT?

This seems like a less than optimal configuration since I lose WiFi on my phone when using it to control the camera.

Thx.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Nomad

Re: WiFi versus BT

The bluetooth connection is simply used as a handshake protocol, in other words it's just a way for your phone to say to your camera "wake up your Wifi connection".

Bluetooth simply doesn't have the bandwith to control your camera via the app as the app has to stream the video feed (so you can see your setting adjustment effects) etc.

If you need better control of your camera but don't need a video feed I recommend the GoPro smart remote (Unless of course you have a GoPro Max that is).

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Hiker

WiFi is a MUCH faster connection speed so you can transfer files and such.  I couldn't imagine transferring a 3Gb file over bluetooth.  

Highlighted
Tourist

I figured that I as the case, but for just controlling the camera the option to use BT and retain your WiFi connection seems like a good thing.
Highlighted
Nomad

The bluetooth connection is simply used as a handshake protocol, in other words it's just a way for your phone to say to your camera "wake up your Wifi connection".

Bluetooth simply doesn't have the bandwith to control your camera via the app as the app has to stream the video feed (so you can see your setting adjustment effects) etc.

If you need better control of your camera but don't need a video feed I recommend the GoPro smart remote (Unless of course you have a GoPro Max that is).