Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: WiFi not turning on in Hero 4 Silver

Hi,

wifi doesn't turn on in the sense that when I try to enable it via "setup -> wireless -> on/off toggle" or with the setup button on the side it doesn't work.

I can initiate the pairing process though and that does enable wifi for a while but the pairing never works (I've tried this on multiple android phones as well as on an iphone), reset the gopro and the wifi on the gopro, deleted all wifi connection on the phone, etc.

Here's excactly what happens when i try to pair with my phone:

1) I go to "Setup -> wireless -> Pair / Connect -> Gopro App" on the gopro

2) I can see a new wifi network (GPXXXXXXXX) and the blue led on the gopro is blinking

3) I initiate the pairing on the phone

4) The gopro app says "Searching..."

5) The gopro app says "Connecting... This may take up to a minute" (the phone is not yet connected to the wifi)

6) The gopro app says "Connecting to GPXXXXXXXX This may take up to a minute" (now the phone is connected to the wifi)

7) After a short time the Wifi disappears and I get an error on the app (e.g. Cannot Connect to GPXXXXXXXX Camera might be out of range or turned off

8) Now wifi doesn't work at all anymore until I restart the gopro

I've uploaded a screenshot that show's the different steps on the gopro app.

gopro_pairing_fails.png
Highlighted
GoPro

[ Edited ]

Hi @Anonymous,

Thanks for that info. Switching between iOS and Android devices sometimes will require you to reset the Wi-Fi on the camera, since iOS will use both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi to pair while Android just uses Wi-Fi. The results can sometimes be that the camera is emitting a Bluetooth signal from remembering an iOS device and the Android won't pick it up, or emitting just a Wi-Fi signal remembering an Android device while the iOS device is searching for Bluetooth.

If you are using an iPhone currently, make sure that the Bluetooth function of the phone is turned on so that it can also connect that way. 

If you are using an Android device, make sure that Location Services are turned on, and also make sure to turn off any wireless optimizers. These might be named something like Smart Wi-Fi, Auto Network Switch, Find Best Network, etc., and the general idea is that they look for the best internet connection. The only problem is that the camera's Wi-Fi signal connects to the camera, not the internet, so the wireless optimizer could ignore the camera network. You can turn off your wireless optimizer in the advanced settings of your wireless settings on your Android.

If none of those steps work, I would try updating your camera manually one more time, resetting the Wi-Fi in the camera menu, and trying to pair up again like new. Make sure to click PAIR rather than turning the camera on, make a name and password for the camera, and pair up entirely. After that, try turning off the camera's wireless function, turning it back on, and seeing if you can pair the devices again by just changing the wireless to ON and connecting in your phone's wireless settings. 

I hope that helps!

Highlighted
Anonymous

Hi,

well I tried everything suggested above (and much more) already, nothing helped.

I've exchanged the model at my vendor last week and with the new gopro it worked without any issues. I'm pretty sure it's either a hardware or driver issue. I would suggest that you investigate this further because this was REALLY annoying and didn't give me a good initial impression of GOPRO at all (If this was my first gopro I'd have probably returned it).

Best Regards,

Benjamin

Highlighted
GoPro

[ Edited ]

@Anonymous, 

I'm glad you were able to swap out your GoPro! It sounds, at the end of accounts, like your camera must have had an issue and exchanging it was the best thing to do. 

Sorry to hear about how frustrating that experience was for you! As you may have seen in other threads, sometimes difficulties with a camera are just a matter of workflow, and in other cases like your own, they can come from an issue with the camera itself. We're thankful that you took the time to keep us all posted, as thats educational for everyone on the forum. 

I hope you'll have a great time using your new GoPro!

Best, 

Matt B.
GoPro Support Hub Moderator

Highlighted
Anonymous

I am now having the same problem which is really annoying and bit dissapointing as have had a great experiene with my camer up to this point.

Highlighted
Anonymous

Thankyou very much, uts tottaly work on my gopro. now my wifi working again

@warrent65702 wrote:

I had the same problem untill yesterday I found a solution  to fix the problem by serching on Google and now the wi-fi is turning on everytime this is what i found.

Go into setup menu and select the wireless tab and then turn on the Wi-fi.  While you are within the wireless tab  select Pair/connect and then select the Gopro App.and then it will show a pin number to pair with the mobile device. Go to you phone and turn on the gopro App.

select connect to camera and it then should find the camera and then pair the two together. Now the Wi-Fi on the Gopro should work normal .

It took me a couple of times to do it thats because i no idea what i was doing but it worked  and i have checked this morning and the wi-fi is turning on evertime.

Hope this also works for you

Highlighted
GoPro

@Anonymous,

Did @Anonymous's post help you out at all? Definitely make sure to select PAIR in the wireless menu to make the camera show a pin number for initial pairing. 

Highlighted
Anonymous

I think you're mixing up two things here. My camera definately had an issue (either hw or firmware), what you are describing is just the "correct" way of initially setting up the wifi ^^