Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

WiFi and mobile internet at the same time?

Is it possible to connect a Galaxy S10 phone to the GoPro app via wifi and still create a mobile internet connection?

I'm having difficulty doing this.
Highlighted
Nomad

Re: WiFi and mobile internet at the same time?

Your Galaxy S10 doesn't connect to the GoPro app, it runs the GoPro app there  is a difference.  The only thing that connects to the GoPro app is your GoPro camera.

If you're talking about connecting your GoPro camera for live streaming and using your mobile internet connection, you will need to enable your phone as a mobile hotspot first and then use the setup instructions in the GoPro app.  This will allow your camera to connect to the GoPro app on the phone via Wifi and use your mobile data for streaming.  Please note, check with your phone carrier for data rates as charges may apply.

Highlighted
Hiker

So a bluetooh only connection phone/camera via the app will allow me full access to all the options besides live streaming?
I thought both BT and WF had to be connected?
Highlighted
GoPro

[ Edited ]

Hi @tedshred56

The camera and mobile app use both technologies in different contexts.  Wi-Fi is still used for connect and control, preview, etc. Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) is used for initial set-up and staying connected with the camera.  The GoPro App can "wake up the camera" over BLE. 

See What is Bluetooth Connectivity? How Does it Differ From Wi-Fi? for reference.

When live streaming Bluetooth is utilized for the camera connection when the Wi-Fi option is selected for internet access.

As mentioned above, you can also stream via mobile hotspot.

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Hiker

Thanks. That makes sense. I will leave Wifi off unless I want to preview or save certain clips.
I'll be using the Loop function in the field.
By having the Wi-Fi unconnected will it help the camera to run cooler?