Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Why not possible to use bigger Sandisk SD cards than 255 GB for Gopro Hero 8 Black?

[ New ]
I wonder why no larger SD cards from Sandisk than 256 GB are possible to use when there is possible to use a Lexar 1066x UHS-1 Silver Series - 512GB?

I need to record video for around 24 hours or longer so would like to use a 512 or 1 TB Sandisk Extreme Pro card.

I have found the "Cards that work list" at: https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/SD-Cards-that-Work-with-GoPro-Cameras/ta-p/394308#HERO8_MAX

Backpacker

Re: Why not possible to use bigger Sandisk SD cards than 255 GB for Gopro Hero 8 Black?

[ New ]

Who said they don't work?  The list GoPro provides are cards they have tested and haven't found issues with.  They haven't tested any larger sizes as storing such a large amount of footage on a card is pretty uncommon.  They are testing cards for what the majority of their users will be doing with the camera's.

You can always try using a larger card, however if there is a hard card size recognition baked into the firmware your larger card may only be recognized as a 256GB card.

If you need to record for longer you may be better off using a HDMI out option and recording to a video capture device.