Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer

Why is the GoPro MAX missing key features that are simple firmware updates?

1.) Live Streaming in 360 mode.

2.) Record in 4K “GoPro” mode.

3.) 60FPS while filming in 360. Slow motion

Why should I not return the MAX if my insta OneX does all of the above?

The OneX has overheating issues that causes it to record rotating video’s that make you dizzy when watching. Bad gyro boards due to the heat.

But it does all of the above...

What will GoPro do when the new OneX replacement model is released? OneX support said it’s coming soon.

Plus it’s $100 cheaper.

Don’t let the MAX crash and fail like my drone did.

Thanks
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Why is the GoPro MAX missing key features that are simple firmware updates?

Simple awnswer gopro,

all of us who bougt the Max expected you to to had more frame rates like the insta360 and now you have much more competition and i do think a lot of people will be leaving gopro for much of this reason.

Most of us have been loyal customers to gopro and we like your products 

Highlighted
Nomad

These are not simple firmware updates, some of them would require new hardware also.

Lets take "4K in GoPro Mode.

Your GoPro Max records 6K video which when stitched works out at 5.6k finished product.  But hey, lets forget about that and just concentrate on that 6K number for now.  That's 6K for a 360 degree sphere.  This means that each camera (and your Max is made of 2 seperate camera's) records 3K video.  In Hero mode, the image is cropped.  That means you're cutting out a section of the image, disregarding actual information from the sensor.  So it's akin to having half a fisheye lens (recording at 3K) and cutting out all the visible distortion until you have a nice rectanglegular none distorted  picture.  With me so far?  So if you physically remove image information from a 3K sensor you are left with a 1080P image.  This is just simple math.  So how does one make a 4K image from a 3K sensor that has had information removed from it (so now it's even less than 3K).  How does one make it a 4K image?  How is that a simple firmware upgrade?

Now it can be done by taking 4 shots per frame of video and combining them into an upgraded image, however this is using interpolation to achieve a 4K image, an upmix if you will.  It's like playing a dvd in a 4K player on a 4K tv and expecting to get a 4K image.  Your player can say it upscales, your TV can say it upscales, but are you really getting a 4K image?  No.   Can you really get a 4K image from a 3K sensor that's been cropped?  No.

60FPS in 360 mode?  Your GoPro is not only recording 6K in 360 at 30FPS, but it's also stitching and adding unbeatable stabilization at the same time while maintaining a high bitrate of about 78 Mbps.  The processor in the unit is pretty much Maxed out (pardon the pun).  If you want a higher frame rate you'd have to drop the quality of the output, not something that a lot of people would want.  That's assuming it's a scaleable process and not hardwired into the design.  The GoPro Hero 8 can do 60FPS @4K and costed $399 new.  If you wanted a 360 camera that could record 360 @ 60FPS, you should have told GoPro you'd be willing to pay $800 for it to do so.  Would other users have paid that much?  Doubtful.  So with a price point comes tradeoffs.

As for live streaming in 360 mode, again, quality vs, bandwith, vs data usage vs whatever platform would support it.  GoPro did their research panels, they asked users what features they wanted vs the price point they wanted to pay.  This resulted in the GoPro Max.  Hell, they even put a touch screen LCD on the **bleep** thing because of all the morons who complained "I can't see what I'm filming...."  (It's a 360 camera people, it's filming EVERYTHING....).  So not all the trade offs were for the best...

I would suggest if there are features that you want implimented in the next camera from GoPro, you use the "Contact us" option at the bottom of the page, let GoPro know what features you want in the camera, ask to be added to the research focus groups and most of all, let them know what you would realisticlly pay for a camera that offered these features.  It's the best way to help innovate and have a hand in what GoPro will offer next!

Highlighted
Explorer

Q: Why should I not return the MAX if my insta OneX does all of the above?

A: The OneX has overheating issues that causes it to record rotating video’s that make you dizzy when watching. Bad gyro boards due to the heat.

Complaining about purchasing a camera that does not have features that were not advertised is silly.

I have the Max, it's an amazing camera. I also have the HERO8, which also an amazing camera, but the Max has easily replaced it as my everyday camera. If you Need things like 4K HERO mode recording, 60fps in 360 and 360 streaming, then Max is not the camera for you. Nothing wrong with that, get the camera that meets your needs. It doesn't have to be GoPro. If you want to stick with the GoPro brand, leave feedback here https://gopro.com/en/us/feedback

The features you are requesting probably wont come to MAX, but maybe we will see them in the MAX2 next year.
Highlighted
Hiker

ok, but and about the same features that fusion has, like raw files and night mode, what's the excuse? It's just firmware

Highlighted
Explorer

Excuse? WTH?

Ummm, how about this, it doesn't have it because it doesn't have it. They don't owe you an excuse. Again, if the camera doesn't have what you need, look elsewhere. YOU DON't HAVE TO PURCHASE IT.
Highlighted
Hiker

The gopro max is the update for fusion, so u expect to have the fusion features  and something else...  (or when u bought gopro 8, you don't expect the same features of gopro 7 and sth else) it's illogical. Night mode (shutter less than 2s) and raw format  fusion has... it's easy it's just update the firmware, it's the same hardware.. and please be polite, ok?

Highlighted
Explorer

It's not the same hardware, so you are incorrect in your entire premise. The MAX is also NOT the Fusion 2. Yes, like Fusion it has 360 capability, but that is where their similarity ends.