Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Why is my Hero 4 Session [new] footage not appearing on my Mac (but my old footage is)?

I have a Hero 4 Session that I was using recently on a vacation. The camera appeared to be capturing footage, since the red light appeared / the timer was running appropriately. For this reason, I feel fairly confident that it was recording.

However, upon plugging the SD card (via an adapter) into my mac, I cannot see any of the footage from my recent vacation. Ironically, however, I can see old footage from a vacation a handful of years ago (on the same memory card). Can anyone explain how/why this may be happening, and how I might be able to access the new footage?

I'm at a loss on this one. My only theories are either (1) the SD card isn't formatted approptiately for my computer or (2) something to do with not having updated the camera software in a while. Could one of these be the reason?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Why is my Hero 4 Session [new] footage not appearing on my Mac (but my old footage is)?

Hi @superflame1065

I am not certain as to why this happened. There are several factors that may have contributed to this (SD card, firmware of the camera, switching SD card from one camera to another etc.).

What SD card are you using? Is your camera up to date? You may format the card on the camera and see if this corrects the issue. You may also do a manual software update on the camera.

**If you still need the files(currently found on your SD card), please make sure to save it before doing some troubleshooting steps.

Regarding the missing files, since this is certainly not normal for files to suddenly go missing, I do recommend to reach out to the SD card manufacturer to further troubleshoot the SD card. 

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Ej

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Why is my Hero 4 Session [new] footage not appearing on my Mac (but my old footage is)?

Hi @superflame1065

I am not certain as to why this happened. There are several factors that may have contributed to this (SD card, firmware of the camera, switching SD card from one camera to another etc.).

What SD card are you using? Is your camera up to date? You may format the card on the camera and see if this corrects the issue. You may also do a manual software update on the camera.

**If you still need the files(currently found on your SD card), please make sure to save it before doing some troubleshooting steps.

Regarding the missing files, since this is certainly not normal for files to suddenly go missing, I do recommend to reach out to the SD card manufacturer to further troubleshoot the SD card. 

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Ej