Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Why is Hero 3 better than hero 7 in low light very disappointed

[ New ]

I have had the hero 3 black for years i resently started using it to film dj sets during this horrible lockdown the quality was great in low light so i went out and bought hero 7 black at expence thinking it would be far better quality for my use and i was very dissapointed the footage is terrible, i have tried every setting for low light off the internet without resolve, can anyone tell me why the hero 3 that is years old is better that a far newer model and is there any way to resolve this, i feel like i have wasted my money

Thank you

Kind Regards

Backpacker

Re: Why is Hero 3 better than hero 7 in low light very disappointed

[ New ]

It's not.

It's that simple.

Your GoPro Hero 7 has a better image sensor and image processor and the low light ability of the GoPro hero 7 far exceeds that of a Hero 3.  The problem is your settings and you're forgetting to do two things most likely.

1:  Turn off "auto low light"

2:  Turn off the image stabilization.

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi thank you for your reply, i have both auto low light and the image stabilization off,

i have tryed changing from 1080 60 fps to 1080 24 fps and shutter to 1/48 these were things that were suggested on youtube,

I know it sounds strange as in the age of the two cameras but without changing anything on the hero 3 it is far better quality in low light compaired to the hero 7, i am probable doing something wrong but i have tryed everything i can so far

Thank you Kind Regards  

Backpacker

[ New ]
Sounds like your doing everything right then. Stabilization requires a faster shutter speed and therefore low light performance is affected. Frame rate also needs to be as low as possible so 24 or 30fps is good. What about your max iso settings? Too low and its a dark picture, too high and you get noise in shot. Good idea on manually adjusting shutter speed too. What are you trying to film in low light? I can try and come up with optimal settings based on that.
Hiker

[ New ]
Hero 3 is 5mp and the 7 is 12mp, so the pixels are 2.4x bigger on the Hero 3, this means each pixel well receives 2.4x as many photons, which makes the signal:noise ratio much better and improved low-light performance.
Hiker

[ New ]
Hi irishmanpdx i h5ave tryed different iso i set both min and max to 800 but as you have said it is to dark i also set both to 1600 didnt wont to go higher that that as you have said again the noize is bad these were things that i read on the internet to try. I am filming indoors doing dj music sets the lights i have on are lgb flood lights as back light and a rotating rgb light also the tv is on with visuals a strange setup for a gopro i know Lol, again thank you for trying to help me i much appreciate it

Kind regards
Hiker

[ New ]
Thank you i didnt know that and was very interesting so my thoughts are correct the hero 3 is better than the hero 7 in low light you wouldent believe that with the newer updates etc

Thankyou

Kind regards
Hiker

[ New ]
Faster processors, better algorithms, and better optics can all help with managing the inherent noise but there’s no substitute for getting more photons into a sensor, which is exactly why there’s a desire for a large sensor such as full-frame or even larger, but you pay for the privilege. That’s not to say you can’t get a decent image out of a high megapixel small sensor, it’s just that it’s easier when there’s more light and larger pixels.
Nomad

[ New ]

That is why in CCTV world "less is more" and more often than not. unless you want fine details from afar and supply supliment lighting to suit

companies want to put the best specs on paper but in real world terms without ideal environmental conditions they fall far short of expectations. we have marketing departments to blame as Specs sell; and the average punter will by a 20mp over a 12mp camera as they "perceive" it as being better because it has a bigger number

it's time for manufacturers to start educating users not throwing numbers around

Hiker

[ New ]

Thank you for your reply looks like i have wasted my money then, i took it for granted that the hero 7 would be as good as but was expecting it to be better then the hero 3, The hero 3 gave me great results for my use i sold it to buy the 8 wish i hadent i will see if i can return it

Kind Regards

Nomad

[ New ]

your welcome. if its fixed on a tripod that doesn't move there is no reason to buy all the stabilisation which is great for what it is; just doesn't sound you need the features or resolution to do what you want.

plus at high res recording with no air flow it would probably thermally shut down mid set making the pain even worse - like it does for me inside the car 4wding

Hiker

[ New ]

Hiker

[ New ]
Thank you again i have been using a tripod, there must be ssomeone out there that has had the same issue, maybe not a perfect low light film but at least settings that give you usable footage, should of bought an osmo

Thanks again

Kind regards