Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Why does the capacity of my memory card keep going down?

I had a 32Gb memory card delivered with my Go Pro 8 Black. When I first inserted it, it said it would take 1hour 15 minutes of footage. Now it says it'll only take 1 hour 2 minutes. I record my ride, review the footage and keep what I need, saving it to my phone, then delete the original files from the go pro. There's nothing on it, so why do I only have 80% available and how do I get the rest back?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Why does the capacity of my memory card keep going down?

Update: Having plugged the SD card into my laptop to see its contents, I now know that a decent amount of space was being taken up by the low resolution previews. I would expect these to be deleted when the actual video is deleted, but I guess not. Re-formatting the card was not necessary, just deleting those files.

If there's a way to raise this as a bug with GoPro I'll be doing that.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @tobylerone29. You can try formatting the SD card. (NOTE: Reformatting the SD card will delete all data off of the card, so be sure that you save any videos or pictures you want to keep on your computer before reformatting the SD card.) 

Highlighted
Tourist

Update: Having plugged the SD card into my laptop to see its contents, I now know that a decent amount of space was being taken up by the low resolution previews. I would expect these to be deleted when the actual video is deleted, but I guess not. Re-formatting the card was not necessary, just deleting those files.

If there's a way to raise this as a bug with GoPro I'll be doing that.

Highlighted
Nomad

This also happens with the GoPro Fusion when deleting files via the GoPro app.   It will only delete the video files but not the LRV and THM files (and WAV files).  So it's an ongoing issue.