Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Why does the Hero 7 break up 1hr continuous video into files of 17.28 mins while on external power?

I will be recording content form 1 hour to 1:45 hour in duration to be uploaded to YouTube,or live-streamed.  I have been test recording using the included gopro USB cable on external power with the battery removed.  The video counter shows one continuous recording length, but when I go to look at the file, it is broken into several smaller files.  Is there a setting to prevent this? 

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Why does the Hero 7 break up 1hr continuous video into files of 17.28 mins while on external ...

@holyspirithsv, this is called Chaptering in the GoPro cameras. When taking a video recording, the camera will automatically segment into a new file chapter once it has reached a certain size. This process is intentional so in the event of a jolt or crash that causes a file to become corrupted, only a portion of your video will be affected and not the whole thing.

These files when put together with editing software will play seamlessly as if they were never chaptered, and when played back from the camera directly will also play through as one continuation.

See GoPro Camera File Chaptering Information for more details.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Why does the Hero 7 break up 1hr continuous video into files of 17.28 mins while on external ...

@holyspirithsv, this is called Chaptering in the GoPro cameras. When taking a video recording, the camera will automatically segment into a new file chapter once it has reached a certain size. This process is intentional so in the event of a jolt or crash that causes a file to become corrupted, only a portion of your video will be affected and not the whole thing.

These files when put together with editing software will play seamlessly as if they were never chaptered, and when played back from the camera directly will also play through as one continuation.

See GoPro Camera File Chaptering Information for more details.

Highlighted
Tourist

Is there a setting to turn off the chaptering feature?. I am using a tripod. The reason I bought the Hero7 was to be able to shoot more than an hour of video and upload it to YouTube quickly. I am recording Catholic Masses so our parishioners can watch Mass during the Covid 19 quarantine. I did not notice chaptering when I was using the battery as the power source.
Highlighted
GoPro

@holyspirithsv, there's currently no way to disable or stop the camera from doing so.