Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
GoPro Community Manager

Re: Why does my GoPro hero five black switch itself on and off every five seconds ?

@dannere - We've posted the solution several times. Updating the firmware and turning off the wireless when you're done using the camera resolves the issue for the majority of customers. If it doesn't do that for you, please contact our Support team and we'll be glad to troubleshoot the issues your camera is having and get this resolved for you.

Thanks,

Jeff

Hiker

Re: Why does my GoPro hero five black switch itself on and off every five seconds ?

But, that is not the specification of the camera!? The camera is designed to be able to turn on/off from the smart remote. Thats why I bought the camera. 

If you are not able to meet the specification you have to make an offical statement and change it?

Or what do you mean?

Tourist

I have no control over my camera so I can't update anything. I will contact support on Friday. Cherrs
GoPro Community Manager

@dannere - The camera will turn on and off with the remote if the camera is in standby mode. When that's activated, the camera may turn on and off periodically as it pings for signals from teh remote, the app, etc. If you want that to stop, you can turn the wireless off (removing it from standby mode) and it shouldn't turn on by itself anymore.

Jeff

GoPro Community Manager

@grottyyachty - The manual update puts the update directly onto the SD card, so you don't need control of the camera to do that type of update. You just need to be able to turn the camera on.

Thanks,

Jeff

Hiker

Thanks. Is the standby mode when Bluetooth ble is activated to receive on off signals?

Why do the whole camera has to be started to find out if any on off signals are sent. If the camera is turned on every 5 second with full wifi you do not need the Bluetooth connection.

I am quite sure this toggle behavior is a design bug. And a really annoying one
GoPro Community Manager

@dannere - Yes, when it's in standby, the wifi connection can be off, but bluetooth is still on (lower power needs) and will reactivate the wifi connection if the camera gets the signal to activate. The bluetooth is there so the wifi can be moved to off.

Jeff

Hiker

Ok, thanks.

If this behavior is excpected, can you please consider to put the wireless on/off button at any toplevel in the meny system or better in the camera view?

I hope gopro will realise that you can implement this much better without this toggle behavior and release new firmware soon