Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Why does my GoPro hero five black switch itself on and off every five seconds ?

Why does my GoPro hero five black switch itself on and off every five seconds ?

Adventurer

Re: Why does my GoPro hero five black switch itself on and off every five seconds ?

sd card maybe not  formatted, slow?

Tourist

Re: Why does my GoPro hero five black switch itself on and off every five seconds ?

I swapped the card with the one in my session5 and it made no difference to the hero5 black, it still switches on and off every 5 seconds, the screen works without and of the tags on it during the couple of seconds it is on, should I send it back for warenty?

GoPro Community Manager

@grottyyachty - In many cases, it's because the wireless connection is still on on your camera. The camera goes into a standby mode when wireless is on, and can reactivate if it gets a signal that you're trying to pair with it again. Basically, it's in an active listening mode, so it will turn on if it thinks you are trying to use it.

Turning off the wireless when you're done using the camera should resolve the issue. If not, let us know.

Jeff

Tourist

Hi Jeff. I can only turn my hero 5 black on or off and have no other Controll over the camera, I did notice that some times there is a slight vibration when it is turned on but not every time, the only other thing it does is a banner comes up saying the battery is low. I timed the on off sequence and it is 6 seconds and has a audible beep three times every 6 seconds as well. That is all I get. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Capture on my iPhone and has made no difference. Cheers from Ian

Tourist

I have made a mistake in my last post. The camera switches its self on when I put the battery in and the only way I can turn it off is to remove the battery. Cheers
Hiker

A lot of users have seen this. We don't know if GP is working on a solution or not?

https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/GoPro-Hero-5-Black-Turning-On-By-Itself/m-p/33977#M17018

GoPro Community Manager

@grottyyachty - I'd recommend contacting our Support team directly at https://gopro.com/help/PKBContactus so we can troubleshoot this with you. I'd also recommend doing a manual update on the camera's firmware. Instructions on how to do that can be found at https://gopro.com/update/hero5.

Thanks,

Jeff