Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Why does GoPro Hero 7 Black freeze underwater?

[ New ]

This problem is posted because the previous the previous question (not mine), was closed without a clear answer.

Multiple theories and solutions were proposed, but my experience suggests that the SuperSuit underwater housing traps heat when used on the surface, causing the camera to overheat and freeze. The battery must be removed and placed back into the camera to get it operating again.

Workaround that works for me.

Ensure mode is set to video.
Limit surface video to short clips and turn camera off between them, or at least before diving.

In the water, start recording with shutter button (QuikCapture), and the cooling effect (in temperate 11 degree Celsius water) seems to prevent the freezing up.

Using QuikCapture turns the camera off when you press the shutter button.

it would be good for others to confirm that this works for them, so all see how to resolve this problem.

Accepted Solutions
Nomad

Re: Why does GoPro Hero 7 Black freeze underwater?

[ New ]

I thought the popular solution was to just lock the rear screen.....  That way there's not mutiple false inputs created due to moisture or pressure on the rear screen.  

View solution in original post

All Replies
Nomad

Re: Why does GoPro Hero 7 Black freeze underwater?

[ New ]

I thought the popular solution was to just lock the rear screen.....  That way there's not mutiple false inputs created due to moisture or pressure on the rear screen.