Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Sightseer

Which resolution is best for GoPro Hero 2018?

[ New ]
I got a GoPro Hero 2018 for my birthday. But what i want to know is which resolution is the best between 1440p and 1080p. (When you choose 1440p there will be black bars on the side)

Accepted Solutions
Explorer

Re: Which resolution is best for GoPro Hero 2018?

[ New ]
1440 is taller but more narrow. It will look good on Instagram and Facebook but not if you like the traditional movie format of 16:9. How are you editing your footage, what activity will you be using it for, and what will you be watching it on? For uploads to YouTube, 1080/60 is generally best.

People often will use the 4:3 format of 1440 when body mounting the camera for bike riding, surfing, or other similar activities as it captures more of the vertical image. You can then place it into a 1080 sequence timeline and stretch or zoom the video to fit 16:9.

If any of this is foreign to you, or your using the camera for more casual activities, just use 1080/60. 99% of the time, this is the resolution/frame rate that you want.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Explorer

Re: Which resolution is best for GoPro Hero 2018?

[ New ]
1440 is taller but more narrow. It will look good on Instagram and Facebook but not if you like the traditional movie format of 16:9. How are you editing your footage, what activity will you be using it for, and what will you be watching it on? For uploads to YouTube, 1080/60 is generally best.

People often will use the 4:3 format of 1440 when body mounting the camera for bike riding, surfing, or other similar activities as it captures more of the vertical image. You can then place it into a 1080 sequence timeline and stretch or zoom the video to fit 16:9.

If any of this is foreign to you, or your using the camera for more casual activities, just use 1080/60. 99% of the time, this is the resolution/frame rate that you want.