Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer
Accepted Solution

Which resolution is best for GoPro Hero 2018?

I got a GoPro Hero 2018 for my birthday. But what i want to know is which resolution is the best between 1440p and 1080p. (When you choose 1440p there will be black bars on the side)

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Which resolution is best for GoPro Hero 2018?

1440 is taller but more narrow. It will look good on Instagram and Facebook but not if you like the traditional movie format of 16:9. How are you editing your footage, what activity will you be using it for, and what will you be watching it on? For uploads to YouTube, 1080/60 is generally best.

People often will use the 4:3 format of 1440 when body mounting the camera for bike riding, surfing, or other similar activities as it captures more of the vertical image. You can then place it into a 1080 sequence timeline and stretch or zoom the video to fit 16:9.

If any of this is foreign to you, or your using the camera for more casual activities, just use 1080/60. 99% of the time, this is the resolution/frame rate that you want.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Which resolution is best for GoPro Hero 2018?

1440 is taller but more narrow. It will look good on Instagram and Facebook but not if you like the traditional movie format of 16:9. How are you editing your footage, what activity will you be using it for, and what will you be watching it on? For uploads to YouTube, 1080/60 is generally best.

People often will use the 4:3 format of 1440 when body mounting the camera for bike riding, surfing, or other similar activities as it captures more of the vertical image. You can then place it into a 1080 sequence timeline and stretch or zoom the video to fit 16:9.

If any of this is foreign to you, or your using the camera for more casual activities, just use 1080/60. 99% of the time, this is the resolution/frame rate that you want.