Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker
Accepted Solution

Which mount out of these two should I put my hero 6 on while scuba diving

Hi

I am going scuba diving for the first time soon. I have both a hero 6 black and a hero 7 black

the two mounting spots I want to use with these two cameras simalteonsalty while diving are the hand strap and gopole

Now that hero 7 has pretty good stablisation built in. I would want to use the hero 7 on the least stablised  mounting position out of the two I mention above and put the hero 6 on the more stable position as this has no stablisation

the gopole will be use in front of me, close ups to coral and fish, and also ill put it behind me to my side for a angled third person view

the hand strap will primarily use in front of me and facing he camera foward in a superman kind of position with arm out

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Which mount out of these two should I put my hero 6 on while scuba diving

Probably HERO6 Black on longer pole. The stabilization on the HERO6 is still pretty impressive (especially in water), but obviously the HERO7 Black is superior. The HERO6 might also give you slightly (very very slightly) better/sharper image on your close ups due to Hypersmooth having a very slight softening effect.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Explorer

Probably HERO6 Black on longer pole. The stabilization on the HERO6 is still pretty impressive (especially in water), but obviously the HERO7 Black is superior. The HERO6 might also give you slightly (very very slightly) better/sharper image on your close ups due to Hypersmooth having a very slight softening effect.
Highlighted
Hiker

@danielr15 wrote:

THanks

so are you confirming that the gopole would have more stabisation then the hand strap ?

Highlighted
Explorer

Less shake, but not neccessarily less movement.

You wrote that the HERO6 doesn't have stabilization.  I hope you know that is incorrect.  The HERO6 has very good stabilization, so really either camera on either mount will be fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIRX3y_4eho

Highlighted
Hiker

great advice mate thanks. I am sorry I told a lie, the hero 6 does have stablisation. I just never used it as it was always very bad as from memory it only works with 2.7k 60 fps or 4k 30 fps

but I guess I Can lower the res when I drive and do it at 2.7k at 60fps

the hero 7 stablisation is much better though

as the gopole is longer and longer things usually move more at the end ill probably use the hero 7 on the pole and hero 6 on the hand strap but ill do some testing in the pool first