Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer
Accepted Solution

Which camera to buy for skydiving?

I am looking for a new camera to capture footage of my skydiving. I am unsure on what camera would be best, I have to take into mind the strong winds and also I need the picture to be clear. Can anyone recommend a camera to use whilst Skydiving! Any recommendations would be great!

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Nomad

Re: Which camera to buy for skydiving?

The Fusion can be used (and thus the GoPro Hero Max) for capturing unique shots that you just can't get with an ordinary Hero camera.  So for Skydiving this could be awesome.

However I do find that 360 camera's tend to have a lot of lens curvature which can make the edges of the shots look overly blurry and distorted.  Plus if you zoom in to crop the curve out, you lose a lot of resolution which again can blur the image.  So it really depends on what you want to capture.  Do you want to film mainly yourself and other skydivers who will be close by (say 30 ft of seperation?).  If so, then the ability to reframe a shot in post production is a huge advantage, so go 360!

Here's a quick clip I threw together with my own Fusion.  Now please note, to stitch an hour and a half of footage, you're looking at 8 hrs of stitching if you have a very very decent PC setup.  However for skydiving, you'll probably be shooting a lot less footage so you may not need as powerful a PC or as long a rendering time.  Not sure if the Hero Max does any in camera stitching but if it does, this would be a heck of a time saver.

If you want to capture shots of the divers AND shots of the horizon and the ground coming towards you, then go with the Hero 8.  You won't have the ability to reframe in post production of course (since it's a non 360 camera) and this means you have to be pointed where the action is the whole time.  It's possible you may miss out on things as a result.  However the Hero 8 won't require a hugely advanced PC setup, it has lots of selectable options, frame rates and may be a better platform overall.

I would honestly suggest, that if you can, see if there's a place that rents out action camera's and 360 camera's.  Heck, even post something on Craigslist, If someone lends you the camera, you'll do the jump and then you both get a copy of the raw footage as payment.  That way anyone with an interest in video editing may just take you up on such a unique offer.  It would be a great way to get the experience of shooting with an ordinary GoPro or a 360 GoPro and find out which suits you best.

Good luck with your choice!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Nomad

The Fusion can be used (and thus the GoPro Hero Max) for capturing unique shots that you just can't get with an ordinary Hero camera.  So for Skydiving this could be awesome.

However I do find that 360 camera's tend to have a lot of lens curvature which can make the edges of the shots look overly blurry and distorted.  Plus if you zoom in to crop the curve out, you lose a lot of resolution which again can blur the image.  So it really depends on what you want to capture.  Do you want to film mainly yourself and other skydivers who will be close by (say 30 ft of seperation?).  If so, then the ability to reframe a shot in post production is a huge advantage, so go 360!

Here's a quick clip I threw together with my own Fusion.  Now please note, to stitch an hour and a half of footage, you're looking at 8 hrs of stitching if you have a very very decent PC setup.  However for skydiving, you'll probably be shooting a lot less footage so you may not need as powerful a PC or as long a rendering time.  Not sure if the Hero Max does any in camera stitching but if it does, this would be a heck of a time saver.

If you want to capture shots of the divers AND shots of the horizon and the ground coming towards you, then go with the Hero 8.  You won't have the ability to reframe in post production of course (since it's a non 360 camera) and this means you have to be pointed where the action is the whole time.  It's possible you may miss out on things as a result.  However the Hero 8 won't require a hugely advanced PC setup, it has lots of selectable options, frame rates and may be a better platform overall.

I would honestly suggest, that if you can, see if there's a place that rents out action camera's and 360 camera's.  Heck, even post something on Craigslist, If someone lends you the camera, you'll do the jump and then you both get a copy of the raw footage as payment.  That way anyone with an interest in video editing may just take you up on such a unique offer.  It would be a great way to get the experience of shooting with an ordinary GoPro or a 360 GoPro and find out which suits you best.

Good luck with your choice!

Highlighted
Hiker

Hello there fellow skydiver.

I've been using everything from the GoPro 4 to 7 and now have the 8 for skydiving. Looking forward to try the max.

The question is what you're going to use the footage for. The GoPro hero 7 is more than good enough for skydiving, and the hypersmooth is remarkable. If you're going for the 8 it would be because you want it to be even more stable and the 100mbit rate.

If you go for the max, then it's because you want to capture a unique 360° video or VR to give it more depth for people who don't skydive.

Cookie helmets has snag free solutions for you for mounting the cameras on your helmet :) Safety first :)

Hope this helps you on the way.