Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Which Memory Card can support 100Mbps writing speed for GoPro 8?

[ New ]

I checked the recommended card list from GoPro, but those cards only support 90Mbps writing speed, which Memory Card can support 100Mbps writing speed for GoPro 8? 

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Explorer

Re: Which Memory Card can support 100Mbps writing speed for GoPro 8?

[ New ]
It's not Mbps, it's MB/s. You are confusing bits with Bytes. 8 bits equals one Byte. Most cards on the list support 90 MB/s (720 bits). The camera utilizes 100 bit rate recording (in HEVC which is closer to 140 Mbs in h.264).

One thing to note, that many people don't understand, is that it's not a constant data stream. In other words, even though the camera uses 100 bit rate recording, this doesn't mean it's writing at 100 bits per second during the recording. The camera writes significantly more at the beginning and end of the recording and because it's a variable bit rate, it increases and decreases during the recording. It's for this reason that we need fast write speed cards, even though the actual bit rate is considerably less than the card Byte rate writing speed.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Explorer

[ New ]
It's not Mbps, it's MB/s. You are confusing bits with Bytes. 8 bits equals one Byte. Most cards on the list support 90 MB/s (720 bits). The camera utilizes 100 bit rate recording (in HEVC which is closer to 140 Mbs in h.264).

One thing to note, that many people don't understand, is that it's not a constant data stream. In other words, even though the camera uses 100 bit rate recording, this doesn't mean it's writing at 100 bits per second during the recording. The camera writes significantly more at the beginning and end of the recording and because it's a variable bit rate, it increases and decreases during the recording. It's for this reason that we need fast write speed cards, even though the actual bit rate is considerably less than the card Byte rate writing speed.
Nomad

[ New ]

@danielr15he asked a simple question and you belittled him and turned it into a huge response.

In answer to the original post - Sandisk Extreme or Sandisk Extreme Pro are good choices and have given me no problems any GoPro camera.

Explorer

[ New ]
@quickhero77554
Not everyone is as thin skinned as you. There was no belittling, only clarification. I actually respected the question enough to offer clarification. Your response brushes off the OP with a flippant, "These cards work fine, deal with it" attitude.

But I see you're active on the forum trying your darnedest to attack any reply I've made. Hope it makes you feel like a big man little buddy. I'm enjoying laughing at your stupidity, so please, keep it up.
Nomad

[ New ]

Nope, he literally asked which card works. You decided to start describing what a bit rate is, congratulations. I answered the question with real world experience. I know what card works so I told him. Sorry but your response was completely useless as usual.

Explorer

[ New ]
Another word you don't understand? He literally asked, "which Memory Card can support 100Mbps writing speed" you inferred that to be "which cards work". Obviously, the cards on the list work, so your answer was redundant.
Nomad

[ New ]

and you started giving useless information about what bit rate is.... well done. here's your medal.

Hiker

[ New ]

Thank you. This helped me to understand bits and bytes.