Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer
Accepted Solution

Which GoPro model has the best price/quality ratio?

I am interested in a gopro hero7 black (latest model and highest price = best quality, right?).

But, unfortunately, I keep watching and reading reviews and everyone complains about this model.

Since I don't want to sped my whole week watching reviews of lots of models, I would like to find out from real life users about their perspective on this topic:

- Which GoPro version was the best at price-quality over the years? Getting more bang for the buck is in my interest, but don't want to sacrifice too much quality.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Which GoPro model has the best price/quality ratio?

I have the following GoPro cameras:
HD HERO (2010)
HERO2
HERO3 Silver
HERO3 Black
HERO3+ Black
HERO4 Session
HERO4 Silver
HERO5 Session
HERO5 Black
HERO6 Black
FUSION
HERO7 Black
I have a pretty good idea of which GoPro camera is the best bang for your buck.

Video Quality:
#1 HERO8 Black. It has the best quality. It records at the highest bitrate and has improved color management.
#2 Tie HERO7 Black and HERO6 Black. A slight edge goes to the HERO7 Black because it handles strong light better, for the most part, they are nearly identical
#3 HERO5 Black. The HERO5 and HERO4 Black are very similar, but the HERO5 Black has exposure compensation, while the HERO4 Black only has Spot Metering.
#4 HERO4 Black. (see above)
#5 HERO5 Session. 4K/30 in a little cube. Awesome, nearly indestructible camera.

Stabilization:
#1 GoPro MAX. With a much larger FOV to work with and the GP1 Chip and GoPro's Hypersmooth 2.0, no camera is going to be able to beat the stabilization of the GoPro MAX.
#2 HERO8 Black. Crazy good stabilization and the options for regular, high and boost make this camera leaps and bounds ahead of the competition.
#3 HERO7 Black. I'm still amazed at how good the stabilization is in this camera. I'm often recording and think, no way this is going to look stable. Yet, when I get home and look at the footage 9/10 it looks like the camera was on a gimbal.
#4 HERO6 Black. Still very good stabilization, but more jumpy with heavy shakes and jitters.
#5 HERO5 Black/Session. Stabilization many helpful for vibration, but nothing close to the HERO6 and newer cameras

Features:
#1 HERO8 Black hands down. Every possible feature is jammed into this camera.
#2 HERO7 Black. Almost everything found in the HERO8.
#3 FUSION. The 360 photos and video are amazing, but you need a pretty powerful computer to get the most from this camera.
#4 HERO6 Black. Almost everything found in the HERO7, minus live streaming, advanced face/scene detection,and Time warp.
#5 GoPro MAX. 360 and 180 degree recording with six audio recording mics and a front facing LCD. Three cameras in one.

Battery Life:
#1 HD HERO (2010) and HERO2. You don't get much in the way of features, but these cameras recorded for hours.
#2 HERO3+. Great little camera and was my favorite up until the HERO5 Black.
#3 HERO4 Session. Tough little cube that always is ready to rock.
#4 Fusion. Large capacity battery and last for a pretty decent amount of time.
#5 HERO4 Black. Great 4K/30fps camera without all the bells and whistles.

Photo Quality:
#1 Fusion. Capable of capturing 18MP RAW photos that are incredible
#2 HERO8 Black. Improved Superphoto and HDR, along with RAW.
#3 HERO7 Black. Superphoto, Tonal mapping, HDR, Night Photo, RAW... Only superseded by the HERO8 Black

Best bang for the Buck?
#1 This is going to be the HERO8. Not only does it have all of the latest and greatest features, it is the only camera you will be able to upgrade with the media mods. The HERO8 is in a class by itself and if I didn't already own the HERO7 Black, it's the only camera I would consider.
#2 GoPro MAX. If you don't mind maxing out with 1080p and 1440p for 60fps 180 degree video, this is the only camera that allows for 360 and traditional video recording. Recording in 360 is awesome as it allows you to reframe your shots with an almost limitless number of angles. i use my Fusion surfing and I can literally create 20 different unique videos off of one recording of a wave.
#3 HERO7 Black. This is an amazing camera. Complaints of overheating and freezing are way overblown. Yes, if you record continuously (45 minutes or more) in 4K/60fps the camera runs the risk of overheating and turning itself off. Thing is, the battery is also nearly drained by this point anyway. It's a waterproof action camera, not a dash cam. If you look up Sony, Cannon, Fuji, you will find that just about all cameras overheat in 4K with extended recording. As long as you use a recommended SD card, run a manual update, and format your card in camera before use, this is an excellent and dependable camera. I use mine 3-4 times a week and have for a year now without issues.
#4 HERO5 Black from the GoPro Clearance Shop https://gopro.com/en/us/shop/accessories/refurbished-hero5-black/CHDNH-B15.html
#5 FUSION. You MUST have a powerful computer to get the most from this camera and ideally Adobe Premiere Pro (For a free option you can use DaVinci Resolve with Reframe360 plugin, but it's not quite as good).
Runner Up (or if Fusion is not an option), HERO6 Black. This is a great camera. If you can find one at a discount, go for it. problem is, it generally sells for around the same price as HERO7 Black. Considering the HERO7 Black gives you much more, any minor price difference makes the HERO6 Black not worth the price.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Explorer

I have the following GoPro cameras:
HD HERO (2010)
HERO2
HERO3 Silver
HERO3 Black
HERO3+ Black
HERO4 Session
HERO4 Silver
HERO5 Session
HERO5 Black
HERO6 Black
FUSION
HERO7 Black
I have a pretty good idea of which GoPro camera is the best bang for your buck.

Video Quality:
#1 HERO8 Black. It has the best quality. It records at the highest bitrate and has improved color management.
#2 Tie HERO7 Black and HERO6 Black. A slight edge goes to the HERO7 Black because it handles strong light better, for the most part, they are nearly identical
#3 HERO5 Black. The HERO5 and HERO4 Black are very similar, but the HERO5 Black has exposure compensation, while the HERO4 Black only has Spot Metering.
#4 HERO4 Black. (see above)
#5 HERO5 Session. 4K/30 in a little cube. Awesome, nearly indestructible camera.

Stabilization:
#1 GoPro MAX. With a much larger FOV to work with and the GP1 Chip and GoPro's Hypersmooth 2.0, no camera is going to be able to beat the stabilization of the GoPro MAX.
#2 HERO8 Black. Crazy good stabilization and the options for regular, high and boost make this camera leaps and bounds ahead of the competition.
#3 HERO7 Black. I'm still amazed at how good the stabilization is in this camera. I'm often recording and think, no way this is going to look stable. Yet, when I get home and look at the footage 9/10 it looks like the camera was on a gimbal.
#4 HERO6 Black. Still very good stabilization, but more jumpy with heavy shakes and jitters.
#5 HERO5 Black/Session. Stabilization many helpful for vibration, but nothing close to the HERO6 and newer cameras

Features:
#1 HERO8 Black hands down. Every possible feature is jammed into this camera.
#2 HERO7 Black. Almost everything found in the HERO8.
#3 FUSION. The 360 photos and video are amazing, but you need a pretty powerful computer to get the most from this camera.
#4 HERO6 Black. Almost everything found in the HERO7, minus live streaming, advanced face/scene detection,and Time warp.
#5 GoPro MAX. 360 and 180 degree recording with six audio recording mics and a front facing LCD. Three cameras in one.

Battery Life:
#1 HD HERO (2010) and HERO2. You don't get much in the way of features, but these cameras recorded for hours.
#2 HERO3+. Great little camera and was my favorite up until the HERO5 Black.
#3 HERO4 Session. Tough little cube that always is ready to rock.
#4 Fusion. Large capacity battery and last for a pretty decent amount of time.
#5 HERO4 Black. Great 4K/30fps camera without all the bells and whistles.

Photo Quality:
#1 Fusion. Capable of capturing 18MP RAW photos that are incredible
#2 HERO8 Black. Improved Superphoto and HDR, along with RAW.
#3 HERO7 Black. Superphoto, Tonal mapping, HDR, Night Photo, RAW... Only superseded by the HERO8 Black

Best bang for the Buck?
#1 This is going to be the HERO8. Not only does it have all of the latest and greatest features, it is the only camera you will be able to upgrade with the media mods. The HERO8 is in a class by itself and if I didn't already own the HERO7 Black, it's the only camera I would consider.
#2 GoPro MAX. If you don't mind maxing out with 1080p and 1440p for 60fps 180 degree video, this is the only camera that allows for 360 and traditional video recording. Recording in 360 is awesome as it allows you to reframe your shots with an almost limitless number of angles. i use my Fusion surfing and I can literally create 20 different unique videos off of one recording of a wave.
#3 HERO7 Black. This is an amazing camera. Complaints of overheating and freezing are way overblown. Yes, if you record continuously (45 minutes or more) in 4K/60fps the camera runs the risk of overheating and turning itself off. Thing is, the battery is also nearly drained by this point anyway. It's a waterproof action camera, not a dash cam. If you look up Sony, Cannon, Fuji, you will find that just about all cameras overheat in 4K with extended recording. As long as you use a recommended SD card, run a manual update, and format your card in camera before use, this is an excellent and dependable camera. I use mine 3-4 times a week and have for a year now without issues.
#4 HERO5 Black from the GoPro Clearance Shop https://gopro.com/en/us/shop/accessories/refurbished-hero5-black/CHDNH-B15.html
#5 FUSION. You MUST have a powerful computer to get the most from this camera and ideally Adobe Premiere Pro (For a free option you can use DaVinci Resolve with Reframe360 plugin, but it's not quite as good).
Runner Up (or if Fusion is not an option), HERO6 Black. This is a great camera. If you can find one at a discount, go for it. problem is, it generally sells for around the same price as HERO7 Black. Considering the HERO7 Black gives you much more, any minor price difference makes the HERO6 Black not worth the price.
Highlighted
Adventurer

Trouble free so far with my DJI Osmo Action, I paid $227.plus   sells for $300.00 all tax free. even shipping.   Hero 6 Black  least amout ofissues for me,   what sold me was the Hero7 black Hypersmooth nad Timewarp. night and day difference.  My Hero  5 session gave three times, RMA'd. My Hero 5  audio imput gave, My Hero 7 black gave 3 times, over heated in timewarp, usb connection lost, audi imput  gave.    when the Hero 7 is returned and  reaches its end life  the hero 8 Black I will purchase.    Not an owner no questions asked get the hero 8  you be happy for the  number of  important upgrades they did

Hypersmooth 2.0    choice of  no EIS, standard, Hypersmooth, Boost.

Timewarp 2.0 choice of   that EIS  and  auto to slow down to real time

Field of view 4K Linear and narrow zoom

EIS added to slo mo and nearly all fps.

Profiles to set up  differnt  features,

Livestream 1080P 1K subs or higher needed and for hotspot only (can livestream on desktop only)

no brainer to get the Hero 8   

Highlighted
Adventurer

Just forgotto mention on the OA the abilty to charge while recording. while Hero camera's  do not offer that at all, also OA 16:AR for photos gopro does not do that as well.  just good food for thought.