Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: When will the Webcam for Windows be available?

Thanks, @fishycomics. This is actually helpful and useful information. I have a ton of video editing to occupy most of my days, as opposed to @oliverz513, since it appears he has a lot time to peruse these forums, giving out useless insults to people in an attempt to belittle them in some way. Smiley Frustrated Yes @oliverz513 , I know what BETA firmware and currently only means for MAC means, as well as knowing the useless information in the first paragraph of the article as to why we need webcams these days, yada yada yada...so I skipped that and went straight to the video, and list of items needed below. (The list just states "Computer"... not a Mac computer, which again would've been helpful). Anyway, shame on me.

If you recall @oliverz513 , your first statement in this thread was "Nowhere can I read that the GoPro Hero8 can also be used as a webcam... where was that promised?". which was an obvious selling point for the GoPro 8 that I seem to find right away, so not sure how you missed that tidbit of information? Do you even understand what a webcam is??? Smiley Wink (You followed that up with some degrading question to the previous post... again, NOT HELPFUL Oliver)

All I said in my earlier post was that it was easily missed, as many other people obviously missed it as well, and that it would've be nice to include that useful information at the very front or title of the article, since the front of the article contained fluff about the need for a webcam these days.

I'm pretty sure you are an intelligent guy, @oliverz513 , so you might try and be a little more positive and uplifting, or maybe "No comment" at all, since anything you've contributed in this thread hasn't been very useful, helpful or positive at all. Just sayin'. Now I have spent way too much time on this, so I'm out. Thanks again, @fishycomics!! I will check out the other thread. 👍

Stay positive, everyone!!! We have enough crap and negativity going on in the world these days to occupy our thoughts. This stuff is supposed to be fun.  

Highlighted
Backpacker

I don't get why people buy a GoPro to use as a webcam. If I was after a webcam, I'd buy a webcam & not an action camera

but perhaps I'm just odd

Highlighted
Tourist

That's a valid question, @duanem8 . One thing about the GoPro is it has a very clear picture, as opposed to a lot of webcams. Also, and I'm sure things have changed, but webcams weren't available at all when this Covid-19 thing broke, since a lot of people had to work from home. I ended up using an Elgato Cam Link and camcorder as a webcam. I was also tasked to set up a remote training system for the company I work for, and using a head mounted GoPro gives the trainee a good POV of the trainer, but this needed to be done during a live MS Teams session within our company, and not pre-recorded. My situation is specific and unique, but I happened to find some YouTube videos explaining the benifits of using the GoPro as a webcam, as opposed to an actual webcam itself.   https://youtu.be/UsPEK5Mo7UA

Hope that helps. 

GoPro Webcam Beta: https://community.gopro.com/t5/Webcam/ct-p/WebcamVarious links:Charging port door (US): https://amzn.to/2TJiEiICharging port door (EU): ht...
Highlighted
Nomad

Honestly, I have an 8 year old (insert brand name here) Webcam.  I also have a GoPro Hero 8 with a media mod and a HDMI capture card.  Which one offers the better picture and sound when used as a webcam for an online meeting?  After all, an 8 year old 1080P webcam cannot compete with a brand new 4K action camera right?

Wrong!

The (insert brand name here) Webcam out performs in every aspect.  Why?

1:  Ability to zoom in and out.

2:  Ability to adjust focus manually or automatically using the webcam software (so I can be far away or hold things up close to the camera and the focus adjusts).

3:  Automatic face tracking, so I can move around in the shot and have the webcam focus only on me, not the background.

4:  Manual control over the settings (white balance, contrast, color).  Also the webcam lighting software is better at eliminating overblown images as it can keep picture quality settings locked on your face and not the image as a whole.

5:  Superior sound quality (beats headsets, GoPro mic, Boom mic etc, the stereo mics on that webcam are crystal clear)(so seriously folks, stop using your crappy bluetooth ear pieces!).

6:  Superior software.  My webcam software runs in the foreground and outputs into whatever online meeting software I'm using.  The advantages of this is that the webcam software allows me to select what I want to broadcast.  For instance if I have 2 video sources hooked up, I can easily switch between them.  I can select my desktop or a specific monitor for live demonstrations.  I can also add watermarks to my broadcast.  I can active the pen tool to make notes on the screen.  I can play back recorded media and select that as my output.  

7:  No Lag!  

8:  Selectable frame (16:9, 4:3, etc), selectable resolutions, the ability to prioritize frame rate vs quality.

9:  Filters and webcam effects options.  So much better at blurring out the backgrounds for instance.

10:  Webcams are also compatible with 3rd party software packages.  

11:  Plug and play, no "special" drivers needed.

12:  No Fish eye lens.  So you get a more natural looking picture rather than a huge wide angle lens that shows more than you want.

Look, for those doing "live meetings", your maximum resolution is most likely going to be downgraded and you're also going to be downgraded in bitrate.  If you're using the HDMI capture card option from your GoPro, you're going to be restricted to 1080P output also.  So your 4K action camera is still going to be a 1080P (max) camera and you have much less control over it than you do with a webcam.  

I can understand that people may not have had access to a webcam as stocks rapidly declined once the outbreak started.  They may have had a GoPro though and wanted to use that as an option.  However webcams are readily available now and if you're waiting for a Windows GoPro app and driver for windows instead of buying a webcam now, then honestly, I can't understand why.

Highlighted
Hiker

Thanks for the post irishmanpdx. This may be a question I should not ask here however would you mind sharing the manufacture's name of your webcam? Sounds like you are quite pleased with it. No worries if you would rather not. I will add that I am very pleased with my Hero 5 and the accessories that I have purchased from GoPro. Great products. I just need a good webcam. 

Highlighted
Nomad

What???  Advertise another companies product on this forum?  No way would I do that.  No matter how LOGIcal the TECHnology is, that would just not be niCe.  Anyway, it's 9:20 now and I have to go!  

Good luck!

Highlighted
Tourist

@irishmanpdx wrote:

What???  Advertise another companies product on this forum?  No way would I do that.  No matter how LOGIcal the TECHnology is, that would just not be niCe.  Anyway, it's 9:20 now and I have to go!  

Good luck!

LOL That's awesome, and @irishmanpdx you make some very valid points about the differences above. In my case, I was tasked to figure out a way to facilitate remote training from one mfg facility to another, since we had a companywide travel ban (worldwide, for that matter) and webcams were nowhere to be found. I did acquire some capture cards (also hard to find, but found them) that used any camera, and would link their signal to the computer. We started with inexpensive camcorders, as they could zoom, and the picture was quite clear, but now we're training on larger equipment, so the GoPro with the head mount is a great POV solution. (It also needs to be done in a MS Teams meeting, live, which is what brought me to the Hero 8 as a webcam forum). I too have a very good (insert same webcam mfr name here) for meetings and such, but for my other applications, the GoPro and camcorders worked great. 

Thanks again for the input! 

Highlighted
Hiker

No problemo! I understand. Thanks for the fast response. I can do the homwork.