Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Nomad

When will gopro solve the battery drain on hero 7?

Gopro, When will you solve the battery drain problem on the hero 7?

Have 2 hero 7 camera's and the battery always drains slowly ( if you are lucky).

Lucky case: If I charge them fully, after about 2 weeks only 60% battery left.

Worst case: If I charge them fully, turn the camera on to check if battery is full, then turn off, the battery is empty after a few hours and the camera feels pretty warm, looks like it wo'nt turn off completely.

Both situation are realy frustrating.

I also have an hero 6 black and If I charge it fully, after 2 weeks the battery is still full. ( was the same on my other hero 6, hero 5 , hero 4,...)

I do not understand that this problem came up on the hero 7 line.

Please do not reply, with doing updates again, or changing SD cards, this is all fine and both vamera's have this issue, same like my friends hero 7.

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: When will gopro solve the battery drain on hero 7?

[ Edited ]

Hello @foggybeach8632. Appreciate you going through the recommended steps. Is the drain still observed even with WI-Fi, GPS, Quick Capture, and voice control off? If you have already manually (not via app) updated the camera firmware, and changed into one of the SD cards on the recommended cards list , see if formatting the SD card in the camera will get rid of the drain issue that you are observing. There are steps here to guide you. The camera scans the SD card even when turned off. This process should not take a considerable amount of power, but if stuck in a process, the camera could consume power enough to cause a drain. Let us know how it goes. Thanks!

Highlighted
Nomad

"......The camera scans the SD card even when turned off. This process should not take a considerable amount of power, but if stuck in a process..............."

Thank you finally admit there is some problem there......I was suspicouse something is going on because it acts like killing some process.....my question is why and what is doing then ? checking some sum control ?

Highlighted
Hiker

I have the same exact problem :(

Highlighted
GoPro

[ Edited ]

Hello @enc3ladus. This is a general idea and our team is looking into it. We do not have the details at this time. There were observations that formatting the SD card in the camera seems to resolve the issue. 

@foggybeach8632 and @egawater68210 , let us know how it goes after formatting the SD card, as suggested.  The information on which battery you are using, which SD card you have, as well as if the issue is consistently or randomly occurring will also be a great help. Thanks!

Highlighted
Nomad

@mariustanya thank you and wish luck because users really need this. Have a good day.

Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

same problem with my gopro7,i lose around 20/25% a day not using it,i tried different sd card,format them,same problem,i have to take away the battery of the camera in order to have some power left when i need to use it

Highlighted
Hiker

forgot to mention ,the gopro battery inside is made by Samsung sdi in Vietnam