Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker
Accepted Solution

What's better - using Standard/Powered PLUS audio input OR adjusting the gain in editing?

Hope this makes sense - but are you going to end up with the same result if your source audio is louder, or if you adjust it to be louder in editing?

Example - recording with an external wireless lav mic. It runs off battery so the options for Audio Input would be Powered or Powered + (which gives a 20db boost). 

Accepted Solutions
Explorer

Re: What's better - using Standard/Powered PLUS audio input OR adjusting the gain in editing?

That really just depends on distortion and preference. Sometimes when you have the mic enhance the sound it can overcompensate and distort loud, especially bass, sounds. The general rule when filming for a professional look is to have the least amount of processing done by the device(s) and do the corrections in post.

If by utilizing the power you are able to capture more detail however, then you should use it when the situation warrants. This seems to be something you will have to decide yourself after plenty of trial and error.

You can only edit data that has been captured. If it doesn't get picked up in the first place, there will be nothing to boost in post. Conversely, any data that gets over processed (distorted sounds) cannot be undone in post, only minimized.

I wish I could give you a better answer but as is with photo/video settings, there isn't really a best setting. Only better settings for different situations. Practice is the best guide to knowing what to use.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Explorer

Re: What's better - using Standard/Powered PLUS audio input OR adjusting the gain in editing?

That really just depends on distortion and preference. Sometimes when you have the mic enhance the sound it can overcompensate and distort loud, especially bass, sounds. The general rule when filming for a professional look is to have the least amount of processing done by the device(s) and do the corrections in post.

If by utilizing the power you are able to capture more detail however, then you should use it when the situation warrants. This seems to be something you will have to decide yourself after plenty of trial and error.

You can only edit data that has been captured. If it doesn't get picked up in the first place, there will be nothing to boost in post. Conversely, any data that gets over processed (distorted sounds) cannot be undone in post, only minimized.

I wish I could give you a better answer but as is with photo/video settings, there isn't really a best setting. Only better settings for different situations. Practice is the best guide to knowing what to use.