Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

What kind of microSD card do I need?

[ Edited ]

This article here shows the different bit rates that the Hero 8 shoots. However, most microSD cards are slow. Here is an article showing microSD card speeds. There are only a handful of cards capable of going over 100m/s. Most cards fall weel short of their advertised speeds during testing. 

Do I need to spend $100+ for a V90 class UHC-II card?

Todd

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: What kind of microSD card do I need?

All Replies
Highlighted
Tourist

Have you looked at the Hero8 online manual? Compatible cards (which have been tested by GoPro) have always been mentioned in the instructions for use.
Highlighted
Explorer

@tbonesonoma 

Get a card from this list.

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your responses. I was confusing megabytes per second with megabits per second. 

The camera video has a bit rate that is rated at 100 megabits per second. 

MicroSD card speeds are measured as megabytes per second. 

Therefore, a SanDisk Extreme Plus card that measures 50 megabytes per second speeds translates to 400 megabits per second.  That ought to do the job. 

Highlighted
Explorer

I'm currently using the LEXAR 677X and it's working great. Personally I don't like SanDisk as they are a little hit and miss. I have five of the exact same SanDisk Extreme v30 cards. Three work great, one occasionally gives me freezing, and the fifth consistently gives me locking up, overheating, and occasional SD Error. I've had much better luck over the years with Samsung and Lexar cards. Other members like PNY. Whatever card you get, if you do have issues, first manually update the camera, but if it repeats, exchange the card.
Highlighted
Tourist

I only use SANDISK EXTREME cards (128 or 64 Mo) with my 4 GoPro and my Mavic 2 drone. I often record for over 2 continuous hours (concerts) and they work perfectly.

Highlighted
Explorer

I'm not saying they won't work. Obviously they are a very popular brand. But, after nine years of personal use and experience reading the comments and complaints on this and other forums, I can confidently say that SanDisk cards have a higher rate of issues than Samsung or Lexar (however Lexar was sold to a Chinese company, so the 677X is my first time with the new company production of Lexar branded cards).