Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

What is the maximum speed that camera and its mountings can support?

[ New ]

Is it safe to mount Gopro Max in a plane (outside) that flies at 180 mph??? It seems to me that these small tabs that camera has are a little bit weak. Also the camera isn't very aerodynamic. And what about the camera mounts? Do they hold out long enough?

Thank you!!!

Nomad

Re: What is the maximum speed that camera and its mountings can support?

[ New ]

I've mounted both my GoPro Hero 8's, Both my GoPro Hero Fusions, Both my GoPro Hero 6's and Both my GoPro Hero 4's on the outside of an airplane.  Plane has only been up to 150 but the camera's were fine.  It's going to depend more on how you mount them rather than the strength of the built in mounting fingers.  If you have any doubts though, you can always purchase a cheap dive case and put the camera in there.  However some of those cheaper dive cases have clips that rely on tiny tiny little plastic hinges, so if you go that route, wrap a rubber band around the housing (without blocking the lens).  That way if the clip fails, your camera will not fall out.

Tourist

[ New ]

Thank you for your answer... I don't know, I feel a bit afraid of loosing the camera. Gopro 8 has these small mount fingers too, isn't it? You didn't have problems with that? What mounting did you use to fix the camera to the airplane?

Regards.

Nomad

[ New ]

Well anytime you strap anything to the outside of an aircraft, fear is a healthy thing to have.

No, I have no problems with mounting my camera's to the outside of the aircraft, I make sure that just like an airplane, I do a preinspection first.  The camera's are in themselves pretty small and light and don't product a lot of drag.  

I use two types of mounts for the outside of the plane, both are tie down mounts:

https://www.amazon.com/MyPilotPro-LYSB019YOYEYK-ELECTRNCS-Mount-for-GoPro/dp/B019YOYEYK?ref_=ast_sto...

This is for my front facing camera.

https://www.amazon.com/MyPilotpro-Swivel-Mount-for-GoPro/dp/B019VNRTY6?ref_=ast_sto_dp

This one I use for shots looking at the airplane.  This one however does get a lot of vibration, so you want a Hero 8 black, a Max or a Fusion to shoot with this one.

NFlight also sell some good mounts, however for inside the cockpit, I only trust the GoPro Suction Mount as it has the best suction of any mount on the market, and it's strong without much overall vibration.  Do not use a cheaper mount, you will regret it and never ever ever use a Suction Mount on the outside of an aircraft.  Seriously, I've seen people do this and they found out the hard way why this isn't a good idea at all.

Tourist

[ New ]

Woooow these look very good mounts!!!!

I will take a look at them.

I would feel more confident with these type of mounts than with my plastic GoPro mounts...

Now I have to see if I can buy them from my home.

Thank you so much!!!

Regadrds!!!