Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer
Accepted Solution

What does it mean when you turn on the GoPro 7 Black and the screen shows it counting up?

What does it mean when you turn on the GoPro 7 Black and the screen shows it counting up?

I was going to use the camera scuba diving, but when I got into the water it would not turn on, even though I had just checked the battery and sim card, which were fine.  When I retuurned home, I tried to turn on the camera.  All that it showed on the screen was numbers at the top middle of the screen counting up.

What was it doing?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Nomad

Re: What does it mean when you turn on the GoPro 7 Black and the screen shows it counting up?

It's possibly doing a burst shot.

How are you powering on the camera, are you just pressing the shutter button on top or are you using the power button on the side of the camera?  If you're pressing the shutter button you're enabling quick capture and this will start recording in whatever the default mode is.  In this case it sounds like the default mode might be a burst shot or even a timelapse shot.  It's hard to say without seeing a picture of the device though.

Try powering the camera on using the side button and selecting the proper shooting mode you want.  You'll also need to change the default shooting mode back to video.

If the problem persists, try manually updating the firmware:

https://gopro.com/update

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Nomad

Re: What does it mean when you turn on the GoPro 7 Black and the screen shows it counting up?

It's possibly doing a burst shot.

How are you powering on the camera, are you just pressing the shutter button on top or are you using the power button on the side of the camera?  If you're pressing the shutter button you're enabling quick capture and this will start recording in whatever the default mode is.  In this case it sounds like the default mode might be a burst shot or even a timelapse shot.  It's hard to say without seeing a picture of the device though.

Try powering the camera on using the side button and selecting the proper shooting mode you want.  You'll also need to change the default shooting mode back to video.

If the problem persists, try manually updating the firmware:

https://gopro.com/update

Highlighted
GoPro

@jw-rw, I agree with @irishmanpdx. Do you power on the camera using the top Shutter button? When the camera is off and QuikCapture is enabled, you can turn the camera on and immediately begin capturing video or Time Lapse photos just by pressing the Shutter button. Press once for video, press and hold for a few seconds for Time Lapse photos. Press again to stop recording and power off the camera.

If this isn't the case, are you still able to replicate the problem? You may post back a photo of your camera showing the issue so we can take a closer look at it.