Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker
Accepted Solution

What do the camera beeps on a Hero7 Black mean?

I use my Hero 7 in voice mode most often.  When I give it commands like "GoPro start recording" it beeps.  Sometimes it beeps once when I give it that command, other times it beeps 3 times.  When I stop recording it sometimes beeps 3 times, and other times 7 times.  I'd really like a guide on what the beeps mean as I'm not looking at the camera when I give it voice commands but I do want to understand if the camera is truly doing what I say.

I've searched the support site and the manual for the camera and I can't find a simple guide on what the number of beeps means.  Does anyone know?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: What do the camera beeps on a Hero7 Black mean?

Hi @ronj25

You may also refer to the information shared on this thread.

Thanks!
Ej

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Nomad

A single beep is normally a highlight (marker) on video.

The beep sequence is not the greatest or as loud as I would like.

the start sequence and stop sequence are similar but the start has shorter beep at beginging.

stop has longer first beep.

not sure if i have had 7 beeps.

look at page 48 t0 51 in manual (english)

suggest you do a few tests at home and talk to your camera and watch/listen what it does with different commands

in noisy enviroment it does not always hear commands and sometimes in quite enviroment it think it hears a command with just normal talking taking place.

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @ronj25

You may also refer to the information shared on this thread.

Thanks!
Ej

Highlighted
Hiker

Thanks for the reference to that thread.  I'm finding the beep counts are a little different but close to what that thread states.

Here are mine:

Scenario 1: When powered on

Saying "GoPro Start Recording" or "manually start a recording via a button press" = 1 beep

Saying "GoPro Stop Recording" or "manually stopping a recording via a button press"  = 1 beep, followed by 3 beeps

Scenario 2: When powered off

Saying "GoPro Start Recording" = 3 beeps

Saying "GoPro Stop Recording" = 7 beeps

or

"Manual stopping a recording via a button press" = 1 beep, followed by 7 beeps

Scenario 3: When recording is manually started via a button press from a powered off state = 3 beeps

Saying "GoPro Stop Recording" = 1 beep, followed by 7 beeps

My Opinion: Design Flaw

In my opinion, there's a design flaw, at least for my scenario.  Imagine you have the camera mounted on your head and you've been recording off and on for quite a while, you want to ensure you're recording and so you say, "GoPro start recording" and you hear 3 beeps.  You feel confident that you're recording, but later you find out that you were already recording in scenario 1 above and the camera thought you said "GoPro stop recording" and you missed hearing the first beep before the pause.

Anyway, I'd love for the beep patterns to clearly indicate the state you're in...recording or not.  

Highlighted
Adventurer

BY the time you sit down, or you wrote what you heard you understand it by memory.

1 QC Press once. 4 beeps recording. stop 1 beep finished recording then 7 beeps off

Mode On 3 beeps on  Press record 1  beep starts recording stop  1 beep then 4 beeps

mode off 7 beeps

QC   photo timelapse  2 beeps....

going to go have some fun you can   simply figure it out without gopro's chart in about 10 minutes time but I agree. they could have offered a chart.

Highlighted
Nomad

it looks so simple like that.

I do find at times it misinterprets stardard talking as a "gopro command" and when recording it does a single beep and stops recording.

Its one beep only.

Highlighted
Adventurer

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
Highlighted
Adventurer

took me that long 5 plus minutes to go through the beeps.. now if you simply  use your phones notes , you  can reference  them to learn.   not hard to do (smiles)