Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

What could have caused this...

Hello All,

Could someone tell me what may have caused this. The following case damage recently appeared and now the gopro won't turn on.

My daughter keeps her Hero 3+ black in the water proof cases at all times and only takes it out to download content onto a desktop computer. There doesn't appear to be any other signs of damage to the case. The water proof case appears to be intact and still water tight after I submerging it by itself. The batteries charge using the external battery charger.

IMG_6206.JPG
Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

Re: What could have caused this...

@heyna123 - Those look like rub marks from the housing. When you press a button on the housing, it pushes through to the camera itself and can leave marks like this one. The good news is that these are cosmetic only in nearly all cases. The camera should still work well.

Jeff

Highlighted
Tourist

@jefft,

Thank you for your reply. The camera does not work. It won't turn on.

Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

The HERO3 is an older camera. It's possible that the battery may have lost its ability to hold a charge. When it's plugged into a power supply, do the charging lights turn on? Do you have another battery you can try?

Jeff

Highlighted
Tourist

@jefft- Yes, I have two batteries. I have charged both off the camera using the GoPro dual battery charger. While on the dual battery charger I do get charging idicator lights.

The Hero3+ Black does not respond to either batery or when plugged directly into the GoPro USB to charge. The GoPro is essentially a brick. Any other ideas?

Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

@heyna123 - Have you tried doing a factory reset? 

1. Hold down the Shutter (S) button.
  2. Press the Power (P) button while holding the Shutter button.
  3. When the camera powers on, it will be set to all of the factory default

If that doesn't do it, the best option is going to be to contact our Support team directly at https://gopro.com/help/PKBContactus so we can dig into this with you.

Jeff

Highlighted
Explorer

I believe the above steps work best if you have removed the SD card, so if it didn't work with the card in, take both the SD card and battery out. Press the power button for about 20 seconds. Replace just the battery and then follow the above steps.
Highlighted
Tourist

@jefftand @danielr15-- Thank you for the suggestions.

Yes, I've tried the factory reset sequence both ways; sd card in and out of the camera. I also let the camera rest for a few minutes before trying each sequence. I'd also like to add I've tried the factory reset sequesnce(s) multiple times throughout today. I even charged the batteries to full green light indicator using the dual battery charger before my last try this evening. Still nothing. I think at this point I will need to contact support.

Thank you.