Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

What computing resource does Fusion Studio utilize most?

I'm finding rendering times to be horrifically slow on a reasonably new and fully spec'd out Macbook Pro. I'm trying to render at 5.2K/Cineform/Image Stabilization enabled, and on average I'm seeing 1-3 hours for a 5 minute clip.

With that in mind, what's the resource that Fusion studio taps into as the driving factor?  Is it memory, processor, GPU?  Looking for a "I know for certain" type of answer, or perhaps some clear way for me to analyse it while it's running to figure it out.

If it's GPU, will it leverage an eGPU on High Sierra?

Thanks!

Highlighted
Backpacker

Re: What computing resource does Fusion Studio utilize most?

my laptop won't even think about it lol

Untitled.jpg
Highlighted
Nomad

@dcrainmaker. You can use the Mac Activity Monitor to see the system resources being used while it is running.
Highlighted
GoPro

Hey @dcrainmaker,

Unfortunately, rendering times in Fusion Studio are going to be really long, and it's honestly just the nature of the beast right now. I've exported 45-second videos at 4K/H.264 with Stabilization enabled that took 20 minutes, so I can imagine a 5k/Cineform export taking even longer.

Fusion Studio uses OpenGL, so it's definitely more dependent on the GPU. The CPU is pretty much not used.

I hope this helps!

Highlighted
Sightseer

I have tested on several computers with similar CPU capability (Mac High Sierra and Widows 10) and the graphics adapter appears to have a HUGE effect on rendering times.  On the ones with the weak GPU's (Interl Iris, Radeon HD6750M, etc), a 1.5 minute clip can take 2-3 hours.  On the machine with a gaming-type graphics card (Nvidia 1070) - 9 minutes.

Highlighted
Nomad

[ Edited ]

@loyaldive82836 Members of our Fusion group on Facebook have run a benchmark on various systems, CPU and GPU configurations. Please join our group and see the results here https://www.facebook.com/groups/goprofusion360/permalink/310559856127685/

Additonal testers are welcome!

Highlighted
Tourist

I saw the benchmark that was made based on these topics:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/goprofusion360/permalink/307534593096878/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/goprofusion360/permalink/310559856127685/

Not sure why they were closed as they are pretty good information.
Anyways, I decided to run my own benchmark based on those files.

My config:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1800x 8 cores, 16 threads, overclocked to 3.8GHz
Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200 (also overclocked, always running at 3200)
Motherboard: GA-AX370-Gaming K7
Graphics card: Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080 8GB
Disk: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i Liquid Cooling (CPU)

Results:

1. Sample video, no stabilization , flat color.
6 minutes and 14 seconds.
CPU: 86% - 90% (46C - 115F)
RAM: 3GB (32C - 90F)
GPU: 27% 3D, 4% copy, 3.9GB memory (62C - 143F)
Disk: Spikes of 27 MB/s write. (36C - 97F)
Final file size: 3.41 GB (3,663,986,886 bytes)

2. Sample video, full stabilization, GoPro color
6 minutes and 32 seconds
CPU: 88% - 90% (47C - 116F)
RAM: 3.2GB (32C - 90F)
GPU: 27% - 34% on 3D, 4% on copy, 4GB memory (62C - 143F)
Disk: Spikes of 33 MB/s write. (36C - 97F)
Final file size: 4.43 GB (4,764,702,902 bytes)

Using Fusion Studio v1.1 on Windows 10 Home. This is a brand new computer, only 1 week old and nothing much installed on it.

Render selected on both tests: 5.2k, CineForm, 360 Audio. D.Warp was on only when stabilization was selected (2nd result).
Stitching took 100% of the time on both tests, which I found very odd. On Fusion Studio v1 it also had some time rendering, but I haven't seen this since I upgraded to v1.1, not sure what it's about.
I am very disappointed with the results, specially because I can export this same file on Adobe Premiere CC in less than a minute on 5.2k, so I was expecting that each minute of video would take 2 or 3 minutes max to render the final file.
In a couple of weeks I will be getting a Samsung 960 EVO disk and I wonder if it will improve anything as it's a much faster disk to read from.
Highlighted
Nomad

The posts you mentioned we're closed from further comment because they were superceded by a newer summary. Here is the latest one. Please feel free to post your results and I will add them.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/191979967985675?view=permalink&id=320123381837999&refid=18&ref=content...