Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

What are the minimum phone specs for editing Hero9 footage?

[ New ]

I am very interested in buying the Hero9 Black, but slightly concerned about whether my phone is suitable to support all needed editing features of the (android) GoPro app.

I've seen on this and other forums much talk about folks buying the MAX and then ending up realizing that their phone does not have the needed specs for supporting editing of the 360 footage. 

Is there any such limitations for the Hero9 footage? Do e.g. hypersmooth 3.0 and horizontal leveling require a much higher phone spec?

Can anyone share the min. phone specs for proper GoPro app editing of Hero9 footage?

I am currently connecting my Hero5 session to my Samsung A30s phone with ease and editing is going smooth (e.g. highlighting, trimming, adding music etc.. the usual stuff). 

Thanks!

Tourist

Re: What are the minimum phone specs for editing Hero9 footage?

[ New ]

EDIT: obviously the Hero9 footage does not require any 360 editing (such as reframing etc) I understood that part Smiley Happy

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @m-project04

Here are some links that may come handy:

GoPro Mobile Apps Compatibility

Supported Resolutions for Copy and Share in the GoPro App

HEVC Explained (Mobile Device Compatibility)

Thanks!
Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Thank you for sharing these! 

Question on horizon leveling: when downloading the MP4 file from the camera, is the footage already leveled? Or should leveling be done in the GoPro app on the phone?

If it already leveled in the MP4 file I am less reliant on the GoPro app for editing.

Thanks!

GoPro Community Manager

[ New ]

If you shot the video with horizon leveling on, then the mp4 file will already be pre-leveled when you import it for editing.