Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

What am I doing wrong? Very blurry. New MAX user.

I was super excited about this Max but I can't get a good video out of it.  Just got it yesterday.  I must be doing something wrong.  I've tried both 360 and Hero modes.  I have a SanDisk Extreme plus 128G card.

Highlighted
Hiker

Re: What am I doing wrong? Very blurry. New MAX user.

Hi Mate

Are you referring to the live view,that's always going to lower Res as is, with non exported footage. It's a way of keeping file sizes etc down until it's reframed or exported to the app etc.
Have you tried to reframe the clip and view it in 2d? I think the same applies for Hero footage too. My old Black 5 would always look much worse viewing on the camera.
Could you be using the lens covers and they are dirty or even the lenses themselves?
I'm getting good footage with mine, although it does degrade a tad when using the covers, as aforementioned.

Are you using the app on your mobile? iOS? Android? There's a few workflow videos on YT that can guide you.

Have you updated the firmware, if not do that. Give GP a shout as well, if you've done done all the above

Good luck 👍
Highlighted
Tourist

Thanks for the advice.  Just got off the phone with GoPro and uploaded a sample clip - watch

They said it looks good to them.  I guess my standards were too high.  After reviewing the videos online that I was watching when I decided to get the camera, it is on par with them afterall.  The 360 thing really degrades the video, but I'm used to a DSLR.  I also ordered a hero 8 black - not here yet.  Looking forward to trying that out as well.

Highlighted
Hiker

Interesting, I'm seeing only 480p as max Res? Have you just uploaded it, may need a little time for YT to catch up.

YT is finicky service. My experience, no matter what you put into it, the viewer never watches the original glory. That being said, I think, when you have nailed the reframing and avoid the obvious areas of stitch, which could introduce blurring or darker environments which challenge the sensor. The footage, is pretty good in my honest opinion. I use mine for action purposes, trail running and cycling. The footage so far has been good for me when I don't mess around too much. Like, too many reframes that zoom too much either in or out.
I always use 16:9 so I can kinda quantify the the zoom. Try also to note the horizon and although it will fish eye, you can straighten it significantly. It is a bit of faff, but gets a little easier with time
It is a learning process and my last video was messed up on me using after market lens protectors from eBay. I was hoping the smaller profile would help with the cleaning. All they did, was add a disturbing refraction and blurring to the edges. So, it's still a learning experience
Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @dmckinley,

Can you post a raw file?

Since it's already on YouTube and the resolution available is only at 480p I would say that it's normal. 

If you can post the RAW clip then we can check the quality. 

-Jay 

Highlighted
Tourist

I remember having about a 2 year learning curve with the DSLR so I'm not surprised it will take some effort switching to video.

I will gladly post RAW file but no idea how to do that.

Highlighted
GoPro

You can upload the file to any cloud storage @dmckinley