Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Webcam Function not working on Hero 9

[ New ]

Hi i recently picked up the Hero 9 but have found the webcam function will not work (Using Mac). I have the Hero 8 and use it as a webcam regularly without any issues. 

When i go through the same procedure to use H9 as webcam, the screen on the H9 just says USB Connected, and the Mac app preview doesn't switch to live view, but instead stays on the GoPro splash screen. All other options are greyed out in the menu.

H9 is running latest software update, webcam app is running 1.0.196

Screen shots attached.

Thanks in advance.

Darren

Screen Shot 2020-10-01 at 6.35.42 am.pngScreen Shot 2020-10-01 at 6.35.54 am.png

Sightseer

Re: Webcam Function not working on Hero 9

[ New ]
I’m facing the same problem, I tried on both Mac air and windows 10 using gopro webcam software utility and using the type C cable to USB the official cable that came with the gopro itself, and nothing happened! Can’t use gopro hero 9 as a webcam!
Any help please?
Tourist

[ New ]

Yes, I have the same problem. My MacBook Pro recognises the camera in the network settings but the GoPro app doesn't recognise it. 

Nomad

[ New ]

I would make sure that the USB connection on your camera is set to GoPro connect (this is the webcam function) and not MTP (media transfer protocol, used for getting files from your GoPro via USB).

Then if you have one available, try plugging the USB cable into a USB hub instead of directly into your PC or laptop, see if that improves things.

Tourist

[ New ]

Thanks for the reply, I checked the connection setting and it's all OK, haven't been able to find a hub to check it with yet. Will confirm if/when i find a hub.

Tourist

[ New ]

I tried this and a friend's iMac and this didn't work either. I've also tried 3 different cables. At my wits end with this.

Tourist

[ New ]

Tested with hub, no better, just the same GoPro webcam screen.

The app widget at the top of my screen has a blue dot.

If I load up OBS Studio and select GoPro Webcam, this is what i get. I can't bevlieve I was silly enough to pay money for this.

Screen Shot 2020-10-07 at 5.27.05 pm.png
Tourist

[ New ]

Same issue here!

Connected via GoPro Connect.

Once i open preview it gives me different error messages "2, 3, -1011 etc" and the app says "camera is disconnected".

GoPro is now in webcam mode but there is no way to get video into the computer.

Heor 9 with lateset firmware.

macOS 10.14.6

GoPro-Webcam-1.0.224