Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Webcam Aliasing, Jagged edges.

[ New ]

There seems to be jagged edges of slanted or curved objects, when using the GoPro Hero9 as a webcam,

I noticed this when using Zoom and also with Skype preview.
I took a screenshot with the Skype and GoPro webcam preview side by side. The GoPro preview is smoother.

Is it possible to adjust this somehow or is it just the way it is?

I'm using Windows 10.

GoPro_WebCam_aliasing.PNG
Backpacker

Re: Webcam Aliasing, Jagged edges.

[ New ]

The preview is simpley just that.  A low resolution fast streaming preview meant for framing a shot.  Due to it's low resolution you are going to see jagged edges.  

Tourist

[ New ]

So people on the other end won't see that aliasing?

This was extremely prominent in Zoom, where the participants' video images are smaller - the people with the regular webcams had nice smooth video, whereas I had angular swirly edges.

Backpacker

[ New ]

Yes, but sitting in your chair, you saw their video feed, you didn't see their low quality preview that they were seeing that they saw as jagged with aliasing.  

Please also note that the GoPro is rather limited in how it can function as a webcam as whereas it supports webcam function, it's not designed as a webcam vs something like a logitech webcam which actually does it's own encoding, uses scablable resolution and bit rates and has far more options then an action cam trying to be a webcam.