Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker
Accepted Solution

Water on Lens - Hero 5 Black

Used it in water just today, and now this? Is this normal?

IMG_6887.JPG

Accepted Solutions
GoPro Community Manager

Re: Water on Lens - Hero 5 Black

Technically, yes, I believe it is, but we don't recommend taking the camera in the water without the lens cover on, unless the camera is in the Super Suit. Being waterproof and being waterproof and able to handle the bumps that come with normal usage are not the same thing.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Hiker

I got it too, but after leaving it under a sun, all gone. Mine was after playing in the rain with motorcycle.

My best guess is that it is not trully water tight on the removable lens protector.

GoPro Community Manager

Just to confirm what @itsdendy wrote, the lens itself is waterproof, but the protective cover does have a gap that can allow water underneath it. The cap is removable if you ever need to dry or clean it.

Thanks,

Jeff

Hiker

To remove the protective lens:

Pull it from the housing, and after there is a little gap, twist the protective lens in the direction of the front LCD screen.

After cleaning the inside twist it back on, maybe the protective lens wasn't placed properly.

Sightseer

I also am experiencing this..

@jefft Just to confirm, the camrea itself it still 'water-tight' (up to 10m of course) even without the protective lense cover? 

Thanks!

GoPro Community Manager

Technically, yes, I believe it is, but we don't recommend taking the camera in the water without the lens cover on, unless the camera is in the Super Suit. Being waterproof and being waterproof and able to handle the bumps that come with normal usage are not the same thing.

Tourist

Hi, have the same issue. is this normal? because some of the my friend have the same model. but don't have this problem.
Adventurer

look inside hte lens protector  to see if the whote o-ring is there? it may not be seated correctly, and that is where the water is popping in.