Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Water leaked GoPro Hero 8 Black

[ New ]

Kindly note that I have purchased a GoPro Hero 8 Black waterproof camera  from Ranga Shopping Center - Pandura, Sri Lanka on 08th November 2019. Yesterday (17th November 2019) for the first time I was trying to capture an underwater video without a protective casing (since it has mentioned we can capture underwater scenes for 33ft) not even deep than 1 meter on the beach (No diving, No jumping). The GoPro was fully sealed and I checked and confirmed it before putting it to the water. Unfortunately, the camera was leaked by water and now I can see water inside the camera (From front display) As soon as this happened I removed the battery and the SD card.

A picture of my camera is attached herewith for your reference. It's much appreciated if you could give your best and favorable solution for this matter since I will be one of the best customers of your future products.

Camera front with water leak.jpg.jpg

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: Water leaked GoPro Hero 8 Black

[ New ]

Sorry to hear about what happened, @devindee. We want to look at what happened to see how we can help. Please contact our Support Team through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs to initiate a callback request or chat with one of the representatives.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Adventurer

[ New ]

where it counts.    have gopro  go to the topic as reference. and   call or chat. when they are  open Pacific time.

Tourist

[ New ]

Thank you, everyone. I contacted an agent they gave their best solution for my issue. Thanks alot

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi 

what was GoPro advice ?only my hero 8 has done the same only taken a pic standing in shallow water 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @wayneski7 Please contact GoPro customer support if you encountered the same issue. 

Here's the link: https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Best Regards,

-Jay

Sightseer

[ New ]
Mine stopped working while using it to video kids jumping into the water. Found the camera to be full of water and the red light on the front of the camera was still on. I’ve taken the battery and sd card out of the camera to allow the camera to dry out.
image.jpg
Nomad

[ New ]

I am starting to question the water proofing of this new gopro hero 8 as I am starting to hear about several people having this issue with watertightness of the Hero 8. I myself was noting the battery compartment area as a potentional source of the problem or the top seal along the front portion of lens and body of camera. I noticed there the seal is tight and narrow but somewhere in the middle is much wider sort of like a buldge busting the seam.  

GOPRO reps care to answer if there is a problem with waterproofness of the camera hero 8 ???

Tourist

[ New ]

can confirm the same. I tested my go pro in a cereal bowl of water, literally 10cms of water,  and i could see water seeping in. My lens fogged and i saw water droplets on the lens. Very bad quality control Gopro I am losing trust and will buy a DJi OSMO instead!

GoPro

[ New ]

@fireyblaze727, so long as all camera doors are closed, the HERO8 Black is waterproof down to 10m (33ft) without housing. We try to help out as best as we can. It will be best if you can share additional information with our Support Team. Please reach out to them through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs to initiate a callback request or chat with one of the representatives.

Tourist

[ New ]

I had this happen to my Hero 8 as well.  I owned it for about a week when it went about 2 ft underwater to take some video footage and water somehow leaked into the lense.  The rest of my footage was lousy because the lense was fogged and the unity eventually bricked.  So much for a waterproof camera!  I am awaiting a replacement from GoPro but I am very nervous that it will do the same!

Tourist

[ New ]

Primer dia de uso, en piscina, menos de 10 minutos, a 0,5 metros de profundidad, y le ha entrado agua en la pantalla frontal. Ahora no se visualiza nada ,y en la trasera al cabo de un rato ha dejado de funcionar.

No entiendo nada, como es posible que un producto Nuevo al primer dia le entre agua???

Tourist

[ New ]

20200502_180848.jpg
GoPro

[ New ]

@mgalimany, please refer to my response to your other post.

Sightseer

[ New ]
Mine did the same thing. I just put it a few inches under the water and the water came in through the battery casing. The display is ruined, won't power on, and the lens is fogged. Super disappointing.
Hiker

[ New ]
Yo ví esto ayer en mi nueva cámara que compré hace dos semanas

Ese mismo problema tienes?
VID-20200525-WA0089 (1).GIF
Hiker

[ New ]
Me compré mi cámara hace dos semanas y ayer descubrí ésto. Puede ser ese el problema por el que entre agua a las cámaras? Oa aucese lo mismo en vuestras cámaras? Yo aún no la sumergí en agua
VID-20200525-WA0089 (1).GIF
Hiker

[ New ]
Os sucede lo mismo en vuestras cámaras? Quise preguntar eso
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @nicholem82416 @mrechi40

Let our Support Team take a look at what happened with your cameras.

You may submit a request for a callback through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs, or initiate a chat conversation with one of our representatives.

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]
Me llamaron hoy de soporte y me dijeron que en la cámara que tenian en sus manos sucedia igual, que se movia el frontal respecto al cuerpo alrededor de la lente pero yo no lo veo muy normal. Creo que le entrará agua a mi cámara o que tiene un defecto. La cámara debería estar sellada y si esa pieza se mueve y separa seguro que le entra agua.

Leo que son muchos usuarios a los que le entra agua en la cámara
Hiker

[ New ]
Como el chat no me inicia desde españa tuve que pedir que me llamaran y por llamada no pude enseñar el video de lo que sucede a mi cámara
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @mrechi40. Has Support provided you any other steps to check further on the issue? Even on calls, they will be able to send you a link where you can upload a video for showing the issue you described. Is there a case number from your interaction with Support that we can use as a reference? Thanks!

Hiker

[ New ]
El caso es el 07816371

La persona que me atendió fue muy amable y tuvo muy buena atención. Le expliqué lo que sucedía a mi cámara y comprobó lo mismo en una gopro 8 que tenía a mano y me comentó que en su cámara sucedía lo mismo, pero no pude enviarle video para que hiciera comparativa de mi cámara con su cámara.

Me dijo que probara a meterla bajo el agua en casa, en una bañera o similar, para ver si le entraba agua, pero no lo probé de momento. Me preocupa quedarme sin cámara. Y no es lo mismo meterla en una bañera que meterla a una piscina, rio o mar a poca profundidad. En esos lugares hay presión de agua y quizás ahí entrara agua a la cámara y en la bañera no.
Nomad

[ New ]

The guy apparently doesnt Hoblo englis... He is to used to the bi lingual privalidges of California tax payers. lol 

Adventurer

[ New ]

People just have trouble getting to gopro for their issues ,  

Hiker

[ New ]
Yo estoy encantado con la gopro hero 8 black. Estoy disfrutando de ella. Ví eso de casualidad y me preocupada, nada mas. Y quizás es algo normal de todas formas.

Y espero seguir disfrutando de la cámara durante muchos años
Tourist

[ New ]
Hola,
yo devolvi la mia y he vuelto a comprar otra, eso si, no va a salir de la carcasa que me costo 44 euros.

Si va al agua va con su accesorio, no me fio de que vauelva a ocurrir ademas en la garantia pone que si es por agua no se hacen cargo.

Al agua siempre con carcasa.

No te puedo decir si hacia eso porque ya no la tengo.
Saludos,
Marc.
Hiker

[ New ]
Hola.

La cambiaste por estar defectuosa o dañada? Se hizo cargo la garantía? Me parece increible que la garantia no cubra si le entra agua a la cámara habiéndole dado un buen uso a ella y no sumergirla mas de 10 metros. Mas aún con el dinero que cuesta la cámara y asegurando que es sumergible y estanca
Nomad

[ New ]

PS I Speak 5 languages included spanish fully read and write. That said I still dont expect to write a question out in a American english forum with english speakers asking to help me. Even German people on this board know enough english or make enough of a effort to speak english when seeking others help. 

Nomad

[ New ]

PD: Hablo 5 idiomas, incluido el español, lee y escribe por completo. Dicho esto, todavía no espero escribir una pregunta en un foro de inglés americano con hablantes de inglés que me pidan ayuda. Incluso los alemanes en este foro saben suficiente inglés o hacen un esfuerzo suficiente para hablar inglés cuando buscan ayuda de otros.

Hiker

[ New ]
@mariustanya

El caso es el 07816371

La persona que me atendió fue muy amable y tuvo muy buena atención. Le expliqué lo que sucedía a mi cámara y comprobó lo mismo en una gopro 8 que tenía a mano y me comentó que en su cámara sucedía lo mismo, pero no pude enviarle video para que hiciera comparativa de mi cámara con su cámara.

Me dijo que probara a meterla bajo el agua en casa, en una bañera o similar, para ver si le entraba agua, pero no lo probé de momento. Me preocupa quedarme sin cámara. Y no es lo mismo meterla en una bañera que meterla a una piscina, rio o mar a poca profundidad. En esos lugares hay presión de agua y quizás ahí entrara agua a la cámara y en la bañera no.
Tourist

[ New ]
La devolvi y la volvi a comprar, puse que estaba defectuosa. Eso si dentro del periodo de los 15 dias de amazon.

Entonces compre la carcasa tal y como usaba mi Gopro Hero 4 Black y ahora ya sin sustos.

El cierre lo veo poco seguro, nada mas.
La calidad de la camara excelente, lo del agua, un problema que se puede solucionar con la carcasa.
No me fio del cierre.

Saludos,
Marc.
Tourist

[ New ]

There seems to be a real issure with the waterproofness of these cameras. For those of you who have not had any issues, I envy you. I purchased a hero 8 black a little over a week ago, used it in the water once and it filled with water. The first time I used the camera was on a snorkel trip after purchasing and installing a screen/lens protector, floaty, floaty handle and verifying the door was closed properly. All this to say that I made sure I took every precaution to ensure the camera was ready for water use. I had the camera in my pocket as I swam out to a spot, I pulled it out to use it and it wouldn't turn on. As I looked it over I noticed water in the front screen. After getting out of the water I opened the battery door and water poured out of the camera. 

I returned it to the store I purchased it from, thankfully they took it back. 

Tourist

[ New ]
Same thing happened to me today. Week old camera, 10cm deep water for 15 secconds... battery compartment full of water. And the battery door was 100% closed. I replicated the situation and same again, battery slot full of water. I do NOT understand how this is possible....? So i have to be afraid to take this camera even near water? Or cant even use it in rain? Or humid conditions?
When I inspected the camera closer, I found the front panel, specially near the lens cover is loose and it wiggles. Just like the other dude showed in this thread.

Im fortunate enough to have my local stores own "no question asked camera replacement for free" plan for two years. But this is still going to go through the warranty and not "replacement plan" because its clearly a faulty device / unit. They will give me a new one for free but im not sure if i want this model anymore... cant have a waterproof action camera near water...?

I had numerous problems with the hero 7 black, had 3 units replaced and still freezing and crashing and lost footage. Was going for the Osmo Action but thought give a try with the GP8. Apparently its still a company with probelms or massive production quality issues. Ridiculous........
GoPro

[ New ]

Sorry to hear about what happened, @devindee. We want to look at what happened to see how we can help. Please contact our Support Team through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs to initiate a callback request or chat with one of the representatives.

Tourist

[ New ]
The camera has been returned to the retailer and they gave full refund. Absolutely horrible stuff GoPro....