Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer
Accepted Solution

Water in Lense - Hero 5 Black

Very concerned after reading reviews and the responses from GoPro they are not seeing this as an issue. I am shocked I spent so much money and been no more than 2 meters in a swimming pool and this has happened, I know what water proof means and read the description. Not cool ! Can it be replaced on my warranty?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Water in Lense - Hero 5 Black

Water in the protective lens?

First, this has not been a common issue and most certainly has not been an issue with the Hero (2018).

The protective lens comes off. Yours might not have been seated correctly. Take it off, let it dry, and then put it back on. If it happens again, it is covered by warranty. What is not covered is water inside the camera due to improperly closed doors.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Explorer

Water in the protective lens?

First, this has not been a common issue and most certainly has not been an issue with the Hero (2018).

The protective lens comes off. Yours might not have been seated correctly. Take it off, let it dry, and then put it back on. If it happens again, it is covered by warranty. What is not covered is water inside the camera due to improperly closed doors.
Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @joeclarke0,

I agree with @danielr15. What I can suggest is to contact GoPro Customer Support so that they will know what will be the best option for you. 
https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Regards, 

-Jay 

Highlighted
Sightseer

Hi ,

Thank you for the reply much appreciated. How do I remove the protective Lense ? If I remove it will it effect the integrity ?

Joe
Highlighted
Explorer

Highlighted
Explorer

The predictive lens is designed to come off. The camera retains it's waterproofing with or without the protective lens attached.

The lens comes off for two reasons. First, because the camera can be used/mounted without a waterproof housing there is a good chance that over time you will get scratches or pitting on the glass. This is what makes so many of the cheaper competitors such a bad buy. No matter how careful you are, these scratches/pitting are inevitable.

These scratches/pitting can be almost imperceivable but effect the image quality. GoPro provides replacement protective lenses that are inexpensive and easy to replace so your camera can continue to give you great quality for many years to come.

The second reason for the lens being designed to come off is for use in the Super Suit deep water housing. If you want to use your camera in deep water, or just to give your camera extra protection for your activities above and below water, you'll want to use the housing. Since the housing puts a second layer of glass in front of the lens, taking off the protective lens removes one layer. The less glass that light has to pass through keeps your images looking their best.